Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trouble starting.

My 66 f100 was starting, but not idling. After multiple attempts to start it, now I just get a "click" and the engine won't even attempt to turn over. All electric accessories still work. My first thought is either the battery charge is too low or the starter got burned out. Anyone have any advice to help me trouble shoot?

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Fellro

Staff member
Even though the accessories work, it doesn't necessarily equate the battery having good charge or even good connection. That would be the first thing to verify.

Threw the battery on a charger, still no luck. Only thing I get when I turn the key is a click. Not even a slight indication that the engine is trying to turn over. Just a click. Hmm.

Hate to sound like a fool, but where exactly is the starter? I see the starter relay and looks to lead to a starter mounted in a spot that's pretty tough to get to. Around the left side of the engine if looking at it from the hood.

Thanks guys. I'm very new to this stuff and appreciate all your help!

Fellro

Staff member
Down low on the passenger side of the motor. Connections are a notorious reason for just clicking. If it is a click, then nothing, commonly connection. Continuous clicking is more likely low/bad battery.

Ford Truck Articles