Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New 6.0L PCM Flash - ?????

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Was told that the new "flash" that disables the "buzz flash" that some have to the new "inductive injector heating" flash also has a new PCM update as well... meaning there are two updates... one for the FICM (fuel injection control module) and one for the PCM?

Is this true and besides the indutive heating feature, what else is being updated or changed?

Thanks,

blacksnapon

Staff member
All modules "talk" to each other. When you reflash one, you probably will have to reflash all three (pcm, ficm, and tcm).Every time you have had one reflashed, that's what happened.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
How are they causing the coils in the injectors to heat like that? Are they energizing both the open and close coils at the same time? Kind of like a light bulb filament? However they're doing it, it sounds like it's going to have an adverse effect on the lifespan of the injector.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
How are they causing the coils in the injectors to heat like that? Are they energizing both the open and close coils at the same time? Kind of like a light bulb filament? However they're doing it, it sounds like it's going to have an adverse effect on the lifespan of the injector.

As the Calgon commercial of the 70's stated.... "Ancient Chinese Secret".

For them to warrent 2003 - 2007 6.0L motors for 100,000 miles... it sure seems like they would not have done this if it caused premature injector wear? A bit of cold starting is better than short-lived injectors... so my money (without understanding why) is that this prolongs the injectors and/or makes for easier starting. There will be a lot of 6.0L motors on the roads for years to come and Ford is still liable for the 100,000 mile warrenty... so their on the hook for years to come.

I am getting it done (reflashed) later this week.

Like I stated elsewhere, I fear that Ford, with their current issues, may be trying fixes that give immediate, short term satisfaction to the customer, at the expense of part longevity.

Hey Jeff, here's a link that somebody over at that "other" site posted with some additional information about the "inductive heating" process, I forget who posted it though.;)

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/200..._ih_reflash.pdf

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Like I stated elsewhere, I fear that Ford, with their current issues, may be trying fixes that give immediate, short term satisfaction to the customer, at the expense of part longevity.

Hey Jeff, here's a link that somebody over at that "other" site posted with some additional information about the "inductive heating" process, I forget who posted it though.;)

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/200..._ih_reflash.pdf

Yep... I think I know that person too???

I posted it (the link) here FIRST in the link below (post #7).

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392

I always take care of my friends at Ford Truck Fanatics first.... then "other sites" if I am bored or believe that "old firends" may benefit from my new information.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Broadcast Message From Ford On New Flash:

White Smoke, Lack of Power, Exhaust Odor, Surge, Runs Rough, or No Start:
The above symptoms on trucks equiped with the 6.0 when the engine is cold may indicate a sticking injector spool valve. To reduce the likelyhood of this condition, there is a revised program available for the Fuel Injection Control Module. This new program uses the injector spool valve solenoids to preheat the oil at the injectors. The diagnostic computer has to be at version 47.8 or higher, or 48.2 or higher to upload this new program. The new program supercedes TSB #06-2-13, which caused the injectors to actuate (buzz) for 30 seconds after the engine is shut off. With this program the injectors will no longer buzz on shut-down.
TSB #07-5-4

This supercedes TSB 06-2-13, which advises the above conditions may be related to poor oil maintenance practices. However, the programming mentioned in the current bulletin does not obviate the need to perform oil changes at the recommended intervals.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Had the new "inductive heating flash" done last Friday along with other PCM/TCM updates that were new since my last update 1-1/2 years ago.

First observations.....

1) No more buzzing (duh)

2) Mileage is the same (not better - not worse)

3) Hard to tell if working as cold weather is gone (but does make for less "sticktion" inside the injector valve body - so must be easier starting???

4) Even though Int'l uses the "buzz" flash, I was tired of it and it just plain "bugged me".... but since this is Ford's method and I have a warrenty... I went with it.

Have driven 200+ miles since getting the new flash and all apsects of the motor and transmission seem acceptable to me.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
One thing I did notice is that my average mpg went down, but then came back up. I believe that it has to do with the computer system and people look at the overhead console for a "guage" on how they are doing???

Mine went back up to 17 - 18mpg on the highway and 16mpg city. I figure two factors....

1) The PCM and on-board console have computed their new average mpg, range and so on after 2 tanks of fuel.

2) Winter diesel is gone and mpg's go back up as regular D2 is now available again.

3) I have started using good ol' grey bottle Powerservice additive.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Glad to see theres no problems, beach!

Oh... I have problems!!!

1) Weeds in the yard.

2) Dog had to get teeth cleaned - $$$$

3) Lake home needs repairs - $$$$

4) Wife's Lexus is having power-sterring issues - $$$$

5) Kids want this and they want that - $$$$

6) Need to drop 20 pounds and get back in "back-packing" shape for summer!!!

So yes... I have problems... just not with my 6.0L PSD Excursion.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Boy do I know that feeling. I just sent out a check for the new turbo on Thursday, yeah, I know, but I did!!

Then Friday the A/C service guy gave me the great news that my unit is shot. AND I can't replace just the outside A/C unit because there isn't anything thanks to our government energy mandates that'll match up in size. I gotta replace everything except the ducts. Got 3 bids so far. Wished I had the Vaseline when they called me. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:spank:

Hey Vince or BowTie, anyway I can make two VGT's work in my A/C?? :D

I took my truck in to have the transmission serviced and while it was there I had them install the new flash. My experience absolutely mirrors Jeff's. At first the mileage wasn't where it had been but has now returned to normal...

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Oh... I have problems!!!

1) Weeds in the yard.

2) Dog had to get teeth cleaned - $$$$

4) Wife's Lexus is having power-sterring issues - $$$$

5) Kids want this and they want that - $$$$

6) Need to drop 20 pounds and get back in "back-packing" shape for summer!!!

So yes... I have problems... just not with my 6.0L PSD Excursion.

Glad Vince didn't say "issues" as that could have been a whole nother topic.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Yeah I know, just trying to lighten the day:nana:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I was trying to be politically correct! Have you ever met beach? SHEESH!

Ya... I have met him and know him well.... hey wait a minute... that's me???

What do you mean SHEESH????

I am a legend in my own mind.... so be careful.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts