Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new tools

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just catalogged some special tools from FMC. Theres some curious ones too. A high side, and a low side egr tool for the 6.7. HMMMMM.........

And I actually thought about being a tech at one point.... man I am glad I changed that decision... props to anyone who makes their living turning wrenches!

UH, ever see a high pressure, AND a low pressure side on an egr valve?

pickuptrucks.com
First Look: Ford's All-New 6.7-Liter V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Engine

EGR and SCR

All of the engine’s EGR comes off only the right cylinder bank. Ford did extensive research that showed EGR could be pulled from a single bank instead of both sides of the engine to reduce the plumbing required. It also eliminates airflow balance issues that can occur when pulling EGR gases from two cylinder banks.

The 6.7-liter EGR system uses two EGR coolers, like the 6.4-liter setup, but it introduces a “hot-side valve” at the front of the first cooler that controls the volume of air let into the system instead of using a conventional “cool-side valve” behind the second cooler.
6a00d83451b3c669e20120a587eb93970c-800wi

Ford says the move to a hot-side valve was a lesson learned from its diesel experience in Europe, where other hot-side systems have been engineered to avoid the valve getting jammed from particulates.

“Cold-side applications have extensive warranty issues for valves stuck open due to soot deposits,” Waszczenko said. “The challenge for us is to get [the hot-side valve] enough cooling so the valve is durable for 250,000 miles. There’s an iron valve and aluminum valve, both water-cooled. They expand differently based on their construction. The F-550 and up will use the iron valve. Lower engines will use the aluminum valve.”

Three other key design EGR features include:

* A floating core design, instead of clamshell, that allows the EGR coolers to independently move within their housings as they thermally expand and shrink.

* An EGR bypass valve directs exhaust gases straight into the induction system when the engine is cold during startup to get EGR working as soon as possible to lower NOX levels.

* And a repurposed throttle body that’s used like an EGR valve to drive the correct amount of EGR that the system requires at the right pressure.

Waszczenko says all the changes have made the EGR system more durable. “We have not failed a single EGR cooler during testing,” he said.

But EGR alone isn’t enough to reduce NOx to meet clean air standards. The 6.7-liter PSD also introduces selective catalytic reduction to Ford’s pickups.

SCR uses diesel exhaust fluid, a urea-based solution (32.5 percent industrial urea and 67.5 percent deionized water), that’s injected as a fine mist into the engine’s hot exhaust gases. The heat turns the urea into ammonia that – when combined with a special catalytic converter – breaks the NOx down into nitrogen gas and water vapor. It's similar to the approach used by Chrysler for its 2010 Dodge Ram 3500/4500/5500 cab chassis trucks.

Diesel exhaust fluid refill intervals will vary depending on duty cycle. Some customers will only have to refill during routing maintenance, such as when the oil is changed, while others will have to top off the tank sooner.

“We think we’ve found the right balance between what the engine EGR can deliver and what the DEF system can do,” said Chris Oberski, emissions engineer for the 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel engine.

Are those special tools for sale to the general public?

Lets say an independant shop wanted the Ford specific tools, could they purchase them from a Ford dealer?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Are those special tools for sale to the general public?

Lets say an independant shop wanted the Ford specific tools, could they purchase them from a Ford dealer?
I dont think so. At least not now. The aftermarket will eventually have them (OTC makes a lot of them).

blacksnapon

Staff member
Is that to keep the Ford dealers service department busy for a few years even after the trucks are out of warranty?
No. Usually, the aftermarket is pretty prompt when introducing tools. But why would they need to bring out tools when the vehicles are under warranty? It wouldn't be profitable for them. The tools are only usable on that vehicle. Besides, they are quite expensive, and the dealers have to buy them whether they like it or not to keep their franchise. We have 3-4 million dollars worth of special tools (makes you wonder why its more expensive to go to the dealer).

Are there any special tools for a 1990 F-250 or a 1982 F-150? So far I haven't run into anything too bothersome. Except for bleeding the hydraulic clutch on the 90. That was a bear of a job.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Are there any special tools for a 1990 F-250 or a 1982 F-150? So far I haven't run into anything too bothersome. Except for bleeding the hydraulic clutch on the 90. That was a bear of a job.
There are special tools made for everything Ford has ever made.

Is there a catalog or something? When I go to flea markets and swap meets I sometimes see odd wrenches and such. It would be cool if I could identify them.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Is there a catalog or something? When I go to flea markets and swap meets I sometimes see odd wrenches and such. It would be cool if I could identify them.
Catalog? Yep, thousands of them. Ford specific, no pictures, only part numbers. Specific tools might be identified singly, or by case numbers.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts