Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Intermittant "Dead" Gas Pedal (No-Go When Pushed)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Once every 2 months or so, I will be at a stop light (just happen to be towing my single-axle trailer in tow-haul mode)... and when the light turns green, I go to excelerate... and nothing happens!!! It has happened once in July and now again this weekend here in October!!!

The truck just stays at idle.... no RPM's... no nothing!!!

I step, mash, cuss, swear, push..... and repeat.. and finally it comes to life.... or one time, I shut off and restarted and all was fine??????

I have the "adjustable pedal" feature in my '03 Excursion Ltd, 6.0L PSD, if that makes a difference?

My questions are:

1) Is this a a known problem or is there a TSB out for this?

2) My son got a recall letter from Ford for his 2001 F250, 7.3L for a "gas pedal problem", but I did not - why not?

3) What do I tell my dealer and how do I replicate since it is so imfrequent... and is this a known or wide-spread issue (or how wide-spread)?

4) What is the fix and at what cost (I am well out of warrenty), but it could be a safety problem at some point!!!

I drive a 2003 Excursion Ltd, 4X4, 6.0L PSD with 180,000 miles on the odometer.

Ford Techs, I am open to your comments, recall, TSB or repair information.

Thanks,

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
Chart 4
Additional Driveability Concern: Engine Will Only Idle
Note: Heavy external load upon cold start may cause a momentary lack of power.

Note: Perform the following preliminary checks:

APP sensor electrical connection failure.
Interference from floor mats.
Accelerator pedal damage.

SYSTEM/COMPONENT REFERENCE (Section 5 Pinpoint Test unless noted)
Check Accelerator Pedal GO to the appropriate pinpoint test and CONFIRM that sensors and wiring are intact.
Check the Power Monitor Check TCM continuous DTCs. If DTCs P0148 or P2552 are present, GO to the appropriate pinpoint test.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Chart 4
Additional Driveability Concern: Engine Will Only Idle
Note: Heavy external load upon cold start may cause a momentary lack of power.

Note: Perform the following preliminary checks:

APP sensor electrical connection failure.
Interference from floor mats.
Accelerator pedal damage.

SYSTEM/COMPONENT REFERENCE (Section 5 Pinpoint Test unless noted)
Check Accelerator Pedal GO to the appropriate pinpoint test and CONFIRM that sensors and wiring are intact.
Check the Power Monitor Check TCM continuous DTCs. If DTCs P0148 or P2552 are present, GO to the appropriate pinpoint test.

Thanks Vince.... I have no idea what it all means, but I guess my diesel tech will the next time I am in to see him. When are you coming back to KC? Why don't you bring your laptop and various tools and make a service call to see me... I'll buy dinner.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks Vince.... I have no idea what it all means, but I guess my diesel tech will the next time I am in to see him. When are you coming back to KC? Why don't you bring your laptop and various tools and make a service call to see me... I'll buy dinner.
I've had them loose pedal from a bad icp sensor, but that notice is focusing on the accellerator pedal sensors and wiring.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is an 181,500 total miles update on what I had fixed today.

Stopped by local Ford dealer and had them hook up my truck and see what codes are being thrown (if any).

1) I had a Camshaft position sensor - bad

2) Glow Plug Controller Module - bad

3) On-board computer was updated with latest flash programming and codes cleared (geez, another update from Ford).

I had the camshaft position sensor replaced due to the low cost ($42.00) and the part was installed after business hours for me (it pays to have a good working relationship - and yes, I made it worth his time).

Hopefully, this new camshaft position sensor will also smooth out the "herky-jerky" ride I get at 70+mph and the "when the motor is cold" poor shifting and running????

I am going to wait on the glow-plug module... as I am surprised to even see that "code"come up... as I have had zero problems with starting (never have)... even when cold or when sitting. My glow plug light goes off after 1 - 2 seconds and my motor starts right up without a hick-up.

Could this "code" have been thrown for some other reason or could multiple codes get thrown when some other code is thrown, yet the glow-plug controller is actually working? How do I really know... or test? What symptoms am I looking for as the weather gets colder?

So what is the code for a bad camshaft sensor and glow plug module.
JFMI. Thank you

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
So what is the code for a bad camshaft sensor and glow plug module.
JFMI. Thank you

Left this AM for Knoxville, TN... so I do not have the paperwork handy (will have to wait until Friday night or the weekend when I get home).

However, my truck still runs like "dog doo" when cold for the first couple of 1, 2, 3 tranny shifts... and had a few "bucking and jerks" like a dirty fuel filter at 70mph on my way to the airport.

1) My oil and filters are fresh and new (500 miles ago).
2) Fuel filters have been changed (500 miles ago).
3) Fuel has been changed many times and Powerservice added everytime.

I may have to take back to my "friend" and have him re-hook up the computer and see if any new codes have been set... or check the various other sensors that maybe starting to go bad, but have not yet failed???

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Not sure... it happened infreqently and eventually I had to replace all 8 injectors and my glow plug controller back in December 2010... and so far so good!!!

Maybe it was my injectors getting weak... I do not know... but it happened last summer when it was hot out and I was stoped at a stop light... so who knows???

So far so good...and my truck just turned 188,000 miles this week.

Ford Truck Articles