Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question About Gas Tank Sending Units

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I have a 1978 F-150 4WD, 133" WB with the original plastic, midship 26 gallon tank. I replaced the sending unit on the tank about 9 years ago, but the sending unit and/or the float appears to have gone bad.(No level indication on the gauge)

I want to order a replacement sending unit, but it seems there are two lengths to choose from - a 6" sending unit and a 10" sending unit. I could pull the old sending unit and measure, but I would rather order a replacement and replace the sending unit all at the same time.

Can anyone provide some insight as to which unit goes with the tank that I have?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
How deep is the tank?

There are 2 different tanks, one hangs lower than the other. I think the plastic tank is deeper, than the steel tank

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I don't remember, but after looking at the depth of the replacement steel tanks(aftermarket), It looks like the plastic is quite a bit deeper than the metal. I'm thinking 10" is for the plastic. Thank you.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No problem

I just had mine out of the plastic tank last summer when I was revamping my fuel system, but I can't remember how long it was. It looked good and was working with the gauge so I didn't pay that much attention to it. Just had to replace the rear one with the new tank. Now the front one isn't working! I think it has more to do with the plug not making good connection though.

Keep us updated with which one works.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have a 1978 F-150 4WD, 133" WB with the original plastic, midship 26 gallon tank. I replaced the sending unit on the tank about 9 years ago, but the sending unit and/or the float appears to have gone bad (No level indication on the gauge).
The float is available by itself and is made of two pieces of brass soldered together. Solder breaks down, gas seeps in, float settles towards the bottom of the tank.

The float (C0AF-9202-B) is available from Ford and all the repro parts sellers.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thank you, Bill. This is a 49 state truck, non evap emissions with a 26 gal tank.
Doesn't matter, the float is the same: 1957/79 all Passenger Cars & F100/350, 1961/79 Econoline & 1966/79 Bronco.

Ford Truck Articles