Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lightning HP?

Michigan
Anyone know the stock HP ratings of a gen 1 lightning???

Yup here ya go, added the other years as well. Although you have the 351, yours is pusing 210hp..

1993-1995 351cid Windsor V8 240hp
1999-2000 5.4L Triton V8 S/C 360hp
2001-2004 5.4L Triton V8 S/C 380hp

Last edited:
Michigan
Ok sweet. Now With me making 210, and i have no more cats, 2 and a half inch pipe, flowmaster 40, Lightning headers, and a 460 air tube.. What do you think the crank hp is now. Or did it not change at all??

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I was reading about ported heads and everybody says you'll lose HP in the lower RPMs and won't see much difference until you get above 5k... Ummm, my truck NEVER gets even close to 5k... Sounds like ported heads arent for me.

I saw some numbers that showed the ported heads had 10-20 hp LESS then stockers at around 3k but then 20-30 hp MORE at like 6 or 7k rpms.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
It's really a heck of a lot more complex than just porting the heads. Ported heads alone will net you a minimal gain, but combined with the right cam etc. that's where you'll get the most gains. You can move your power band around to your own discretion really, with the right cam.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I was reading about ported heads and everybody says you'll lose HP in the lower RPMs and won't see much difference until you get above 5k... Ummm, my truck NEVER gets even close to 5k... Sounds like ported heads arent for me.

I saw some numbers that showed the ported heads had 10-20 hp LESS then stockers at around 3k but then 20-30 hp MORE at like 6 or 7k rpms.

It's all about haveing the right combonation, heads, cam, intake. Modified heads with a stock cam probably won't get you much. But put heads and a cam there would be enough difference you might feel it. And you need to remember bigger isn't always better. Put 3" exhaust on your stock truck and you'll loose HP.

Using too large of a valve or runners on your heads and intake can take low end power away and move it higher but if you simply did a small port and polish on your stock heads or even an out of the box performance head like the GT-40 or even a Dart head would be a nice gain if you clean up the intake tract and put in a nice mild cam. Most cam manufacturers can tell you what they have that works good with any given combination of parts. Best thing to do is to call around and ask some of these companies.

Yup here ya go, added the other years as well. Although you have the 351, yours is pusing 210hp..

1993-1995 351cid Windsor V8 240hp
1999-2000 5.4L Triton V8 S/C 360hp
2001-2004 5.4L Triton V8 S/C 380hp

thats decent HP,

WHY dont they ever make a Supercharged 4x4

id buy it

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
thats decent HP,

WHY dont they ever make a Supercharged 4x4

id buy it
Just ain't a market for it.

Generally people want a FAST street truck or a STRONG 4x4, and generally not a combination of both. Sure there's guys that like to have both in their trucks, but they comprise a pretty small portion of the demographic of truck owners/buyers.

If you want a supercharged 4x4, just buy a 4x4 and put a blower on it smiliegitrdone

Ford Truck Articles