Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1995 XLT blows head gasket at 18,000 freakin miles

Let me start at the begining:
So in 1995 I was in the position to snap up a new white XLT with the sportpackage,tow package etc. Sticker price was 29K I walked out the door with my dream truck(platform lets say)for 19.5K. I was damn happy!!!
My round trip milage to work for the whole 16 years of my trucks life was 17. Needless to say its always been a low mileage horse, in fact I am still under 80K.
1st Motor (yes it gets ugly) I ran Synthetic oil and changed the oil/filter every 3 months. It saw a little 4x4 during hunting season but no recreational brush bustin.. With no warning she seized a main bearing at 65 mph and under 20K miles on the odie.No longer under warranty(36 months had expired)we chalk it up as a fluke and most likey the bearing wasnt seated properly or had some defect, regardless I was on my own. With my work schedule there was no way I was going to be able to I after much apprehension bought a Ford refurbished 351W and paid a grease jockey to drop it in for me. It carried the factory 3/36month standard warranty. From day one me and Mr.Grease jockey went round and round how the new engine didnt have the power and responsivness of the original motor his stance was I didnt know what I was talking about. Unable to prove there was anything wrong with the motor I NOT a happy camper went on with life with a somewhat lifeless but dependable 351W(no longer running synthetic but still on an aggressive oil/filter maintenance schedule). Parts and labor came to just under 4K(did I mention how unhappy this whole experience had been. I swore that dufas would never touch my truck again and I
May of this year I retired after 20 years as an electrician for the California school system and at 50 years old. I have my house (in Orange County ) up for sale and I have been looking at properties up in Northern Cali. I have it narrowed down to Mariposa county where the Deer, Hog and bird hunting is superb and the Trout fishing even better!!!
So several weeks ago me and my 17 year old daughter jumped in the horse and headed north to inspect another site. Truck was running great until about 60 miles south of Fresno my engine temp gauge pegged out. I take the first exit and to my horror I am bone dry in my radiator and there isnt a drop of water anywhere to be seen. I check my oil and there is no water there so I have a pretty good idea its a head gasket later confirmed with the radiator carbon monoxide test I in fact had blown a head gasket and AGAIN with less then 20K on the motor. So now Im forced to pay for a 300 mile tow back to my driveway in Orange County while I finished my business with a rental.
HOW did I get stuck with two lemons on what I have always felt to be a VERY hardy/durable motor in a Wndsor351????

So NOW I have had it with the factory motors but forced while living in "Commifornia" to adhere to the absolute insanity California calls its "Emmision Control Program" Which we living here know has nothing to do with smog and everything to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
How else can a vehicle pass the emmision portion of the test but fail the "Visual" part of the test????(more to come, passed my bedtime;) ) .................Back soon for the "Build"..................Thanks John

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Quite the story and adventure, that's for sure. My first instinct on the reman motor was that it was a short block, and when the mechanic went to work on the heads, he put the gasket on wrong...not that difficult to do.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Good question. My '95 got a new factory crate motor at about 100K ($2800 at the dealer, have paperwork), but that was due to an oil leak and an owner thst was out of town for extended periods of time. (Oil guy on the North Slope).

Oh, and welcome to FTF! :wavey:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
No matter what miles its 20 plus years old . low miles + age things corrode. It was also common for 90s 351 or even Ford remain not to be real peppy in Cally for some reason .

As for the early problem it was common . I know of several 300 302 351 that had same issues . Synthetic killed a 302 for me .

ANy Good stock rebuilt motor should pass the smog test test . I lived out there .

Sadly the only rebuild motor I found with good warrenty was Ford one. And was cheapest to.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
California vehicles are known for being poor performers. Ever checked what rear gear ratio you have?

I hear you on the emissions though, my 1980 F100 is from California, SoCal to be exact, and it has the California Emissions (Spider Web) Package on it. Nothing but vacuum hoses, and maybe what was supposed to be a smog pump that is long gone. It has a 2.75 rear gear ratio in it as well, which makes it even more of a dog.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts