Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans Cooler

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I have a trans cooler from a F250 I want to put in my F150. Which way is the best way to hook it up. Inline with the radiator or straight from the trans?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've heard that if the cooler is of substantial size, it's better too bypass the radiator. 1) The 190+ degree coolant won't try to HEAT UP your ATF, and 2) If you spring a leak in the radiator you won't run the risk of running coolant through your trans or ATF through your block.

Just make totally sure the "used" one is completely clean inside. You never know if they fried the trans and the cooler is full of metal shavings. You do not want to get those in your trans!

Most of the ones I have seen run seperately have a small fan on them. I guess if it is big enough, you should be fine. Keep an eye on the trans temp for a while after you install it and especially when towing a heavy load for the first time.

What do you use to properly flush them out, Brian? Seems to me with all the bends, you could never be completely sure there aren't "pockets" of solids in there...

That is why I have never put a used one on anything. I do not trust them to be clean enough inside without knowing the history of the trans they came out of.

Now....with that said...there is a pressurized can of some sort of cleaner you can buy made specifially for that purpose. To clean out the used coolers and lines. I wish I could remember the name of it.

When we rebuilt transmissions, we blew trans fluid (compressed air) through the lines, radiator, and coolers until it came out clean. Probably not the best solution, but we got away with it.

In theory the filter (and magnetic drain plugs-we always put in) will catch the small stuff.

I'll have to agree with Brian on this-very well put-I'd spray any kind of carb or brake cleaner into it let sit and repeat-then a blast of air and repeat until your sure it's clean-hate to see a trans go down from a dirty cooler!-and if it is a large unit-the bypass idea is good also!stay away from the radiator if it is a large unit!

Ford Truck Articles