Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Doing head gaskets on the 50!

Since the head gaskets were leaking out of the rear corners an it got a little warm the last time I had the car out I figured it was time to tackle the head gasket job.
nesamyqu.jpg
9ydy8unu.jpg
4uvyzaru.jpg
bymy7ugu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Was that after completion or are you just starting?

I'm just starting.
vu5arezu.jpg
e4u7azum.jpg
3 bolts broke off on the right bank. Left bank came off easy so now I need a bolt kit and composite gasket set.
8egy2y7a.jpg
ygeru9y2.jpg
ymezuze4.jpg
y4u9upyd.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looks like they haven't been touched in a while!

The right bank probably has been on there for 30 years my uncle bought the car already this way 12 years ago. I know the guy who owned it before my uncle and he restored it 30 plus years ago. They are aluminum heads I'm begging to think about putting the cast iron heads back on it. I also have another complete flathead that ran good sitting on the floor under plastic. The hard part is going to be getting the head off the broken bolts. I soaked them with pb blaster hoping it will turn loose.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You could always try a little gentle heat....broken bolts suck.

I will mess with it tomorrow. I orders 3 new bolts from early ford. I was going to do composite gaskets but I have a copper set hanging up in the building but I hope they will work with the aluminum. Both composite and copper gaskets require copper coat. I have herd that copper gaskets work with aluminum heads but I'm not sure I want to chance it. It would cost $80 for composite.

You are correct about the edelbrock heads being higher performance. They do flow a lot better than stock cast iron. At worst case I might have to replace them but I think it will come apart ok. The engine is also bored .60 over. At the most it maybe has 95hp but it still moves the car down the road pretty good. It also has a 4 barrel carb and intake to help a little. Can't beat the sound of a flathead with Fenton headers and smithy mufflers! Can't wait to start cruising in it this year!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing that!

Worked on the head some more still has not turned loose. I put some heat to it and kept hitting it with the PB blaster. I might end up drilling the bolts out.

Fellro

Staff member
Might try something my cousin told me that is an old rodder trick... Get it all warmed up, then drip wax on it. The wax is supposed to wick in and then they turn out easier. I can't validate that it works, only know what I have been told.

The wax thing is supposed to work but never tried it.
I have used brake fluid as suggested once. ( corrosive type) After a couple days of applying it , the rust was eaten away.
You might have run across this looking at a rusty master cylinder thats leaking.
No rust where it leaked.

Ford Truck Articles