Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lincoln Town Car Values

Hey guys ..... i've spotted an 88 lincoln town car and have fallen in lust with the idea of owning one - the missus thinks that it's the fugliest car she's ever seen which just makes me want one more :):) .

Were they any good and if so what do you chaps think would be a fair price for one in good order - not worried about mileage more worried about rust and electrical issues.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I think some of the older ones (boxy style) are fugly, but some of the later models are hot.....hopefully some of the other fellas can be more helpful with regards to mechanical issues. My grandfather had one when I was growing up and I do know that these things were BOATS!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Had an 87. Great car, did have issues with the air ride, which I converted to stock coils and shocks
Have a 97 now, love it! Great car, easy to work on, reliable, parts are cheap.
I would buy another one.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think the '80s ones look good...but I think the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis, which are mostly the same thing, from the same era look better (cleaner)...and avoid the troublesome air ride.

Supposed to be good cars...but, of course, an '88 is now 27 years old.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Hey guys ..... i've spotted an 88 lincoln town car and have fallen in lust with the idea of owning one - the missus thinks that it's the fugliest car she's ever seen which just makes me want one more :):) .

Were they any good and if so what do you chaps think would be a fair price for one in good order - not worried about mileage more worried about rust and electrical issues.

1. These cars, along with the Ford Crown Vic and the Mercury Grand Marquis, have almost legendary durability and reliability. I'm a particular fan of these cars from the '92 model year on up, because a number of significant mechanical and electrical improvements that were made. 4.6L V8 (decent power and fuel mileage), better AOD transmission, upgraded suspension components (handling's a relative issue with this size car, but it was greatly improved), and greatly improved electrical components. Notably, power windows that actually worked- for decades, and a reliable climate control system.

2. In the Pacific Northwest, pricing seems to range from $1000-$4000, depending on miles and condition. I stay with PNW cars- it rains here, but no salt, and no climate extremes on our side of the mountain. Even in Seattle (on the Pacific Ocean), rust isn't a major issue (cool temps keep water/salt evaporation down).

3. Known issues with Town Cars include electricals (pre- '92), intake manifolds ('97-02), and rr air suspension. The optional 4-wheel air suspension cars should be avoided- period.

Here's some current listings in our area.

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=lincoln+town+car

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My 87 had a 5.0 with a AOD, I am sure the 88 he is looking at is powered the same
My 97 has the 4.6 with the 4R70W, and it screams.
The 97 rear air bags have worked flawlessly ( now that I said something they will break tomorrow)
I did have to put all new brake lines on the car, as there was a bad batch of brake lines in that era

Having owned both cars, I prefer the newer car.
It has more power, is better on economy, and IMHO, is a better looking car

I sold the 87 in 2003 for $4000
I bought the 97 as a junk car for $250, and spent about $2000 on it in 2003, and it is still a everyday car

Thanks guys - i hear what you are saying about the later model version but for some reason i'm drawn to the squarer shape of the 88. That link you posted was a good comparison to where i normally look in yuba-sutter Mr Bear :) - i found this one http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5047448936.html on there that would be pretty much what i'll look for when the time comes (fingers crossed for better $$$ exchange rate early to mid next year) -i had been thinking lately of upgrading the 87 to a gen 9 cab extra but after noticing one of these i thought well why not get a new toy and just revisit the plans on tidying up the truck.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I can't believe you like the 88! They were tanks, no doubt. For many of the reasons Ernie listed above, the mid 90's rides are a huge leap forward in suspension, fuel economy, and comfort.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles