Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Hobbies

Hobbies For non-truck related hobbies

Old 07-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Flag Pole Project

Finally getting around to posting the pics... Sorry just wanted to do them all at once... So here they are.. (Bare with me this may take a couple posts to get all the photos in)..

This was on day 1 after getting the steel... I put dad to work with the grinder since he needs things he can sit to work on projects..

Drilled holes for the plug welds to come later

Was trying to show the beveled edges here but the pic didnt show it to well...

In goes the sleeve for the base...

for the base the Sleeve is flush with the bottom...

can see the sleeve hiding inside the plug weld holes

before i could weld the sleeve in place i needed to burn off the remainder of the drill oil i was using...

just some shots of the plug welds filled in... and the other end of the pipe waiting for its joint sleeve

since it was the bottom of the pole i fully welded the sleeve into the outer pipe...

Sleeve goes into the other end of the pipe for the 2nd joint to slide onto...

just some more plug weld shots...

Smoothed out the plug welds...

And the stud welded to the top of the pole for the topper...

Think thats the max for this post... next post to come with more pics... be patient.. im going as fast as my connection allows...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Alright here's part 2..

so here im inserting the bolt sleeves for the poles mounting in the base pole... gives it more strength just like the sleeves do in your bushings... also keeps the pole from cutting through the bolts...

Now we weld them into place so they cant slip out.. and the bottom was welded shut as well to keep the elements out..

and the excess is cut off with the welds ground flush...

and here we see the first 2 sections joined together... the gap was left intentionally so that i could hit the inner pipe and the outer pipes at the same time...

and youll notice the spot weld holes are not lined up with the other pipes spot weld holes... this was also done intentionally...

needed some help from the tractor to get the pipes finely tuned to level.. for welding...

Spot welds filled in and the seam weld done as well...

Pole Section #3 going on

I was just trying to get a good shot of the tractor in this pic...

and the last sections welded on while i put dad back to work with the grinder again to smooth out the welds...

I did try to keep him in the shade as much as possible... but i can only weld in certain area due to the plug connection location on the house lol..

End of part 2... Part 3 coming soon...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Part 3.... Im getting there....

Now we have the Pulley mount for the top of the pole...

unfortunately i forgot to take pics of it welded to the top of the pole... ohh well.. I did the little side plate to keep the pulley from flexing left to right... itll be bolted on both the sides and the bottom...

Now that the poles finished time for the base plate...

This will be for the mounting base

and 6 identical holes drilled in 2 pieces tack welded together for the side supports...

When we bolted the plates to the sides of the pole we found that despite being welded and drilled together that when it was attached to the pole they were not "true"... so we had to add these feet to the base of the plates to true it back up...

ended up using my stick welder for deeper penetration for added strength.. wasnt sure my mig welder would dig deep enough.. so theyre not as pretty as they would be with the mig..

welded the back side as well...

and the cover passes over the multi-pass weld to tie them all together...

Then welded them to the base plate...

These plates served 2 purposes... kept the plates spaced evenly and was also to keep the pole from continuing and flopping over once the pole was stood up... would act like a stop brace as well on the windy days...

End of part 3... Part 4 coming soon

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 07-23-2019, 05:52 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Part 4... We are getting there folks... Trust me...

Additional bracing for side to side whippage

and more for the front to back whippage... 33lbs of steel and filler to make it strong as can be..

base painted and sitting in the form to set the bolt heights for the concrete to be poured

The rebar there is sunk into the giant boulder under ground... we drilled down as far as the bit would go and never hit the bottom of the boulder so its gotta be pretty massive...

that mig welder is dads... i dont particularly care for it but it gets the job done sometimes... mines bigger but not as portable...

my little rebuilt trailer behind the go cart carrying the concrete...

got to use my new cement mixer YAY!!! lol

all the concrete for the job... only ended up using 6 bags..

i let dad do the smoothing of the pad...

when we removed the forms we discovered some of the rebar being exposed so i took some concrete patch to cover over the exposed rebar to seal it in.. also those 2 corners had apparently settled so they were lower than the rest of the pad... and i leveled them back out...

base plates bolted down to the pad and made level..

there was actually a weed that got stuck where that cracks at.. that later got pulled out...

here comes the pole with the tractor doing the heavy lifting..

dad originally tried to pull it up with his tractor but it kept getting the wheels pulled up off the ground... didnt matter if he used the backhoe or the front loader.. both lifted the opposites tires when he tried to pull it up...

then we tried with the truck and its 12000lb winch... but no success.... when i tried with the truck just as it started to lift the tow rope snapped... 2 more tries and 2 more snaps... we tried once more with a beefier rope that was rated to 10,000 lbs but it couldnt get a bite on the pole for some reason... after that we were beat.... so right now its sitting on the ground waiting for another try...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
That's some purrrdy welds sparky.
Nice job.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Ty Charlie... I like to take pride in how my welds look...i love to them to always look perty... but sometimes the rods wont work that way... and sometimes the material just wont cooperate...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 07-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
Loved everything about this except the Pittsburgh Steelers pop-up.

But the work and flag pole were so awesome I could ignore it.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperrc View Post
Loved everything about this except the Pittsburgh Steelers pop-up.

But the work and flag pole were so awesome I could ignore it.

well I was born in Pittsburg so i gotta love em ... that little tents a little wonky too thanks to a northeaster that blew through when i had it up over the truck so i could do the headgaskets.. i have a plain jane new one to replace it as the tarp for that ones wearing out... so i use that one as my project tent.. especially when its going to be up for days...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus