Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

99 Ranger Frame. UT ohhhh

So my 20 year old step son says he has a problem with some thing being broke under his truck. I heard the tail pipe rattle a few times so.. Wrong.

He shows me a crack in the frame right over the axle. How long ago did that happen? I ask. Ohhh a few months ago. Sigh...

Spent 4 hours doing a frame patch. Shock mount is broke to boot. I did the outside of the frame today. will do the shock and exhaust hanger brackets next weekend.

Attachments

• Forest Ford 001.jpg
  • Forest Ford 005.jpg
  • Forest Ford 006.jpg
  • Forest Ford 007.jpg
  • Forest Ford 008.jpg
So I had him do some of the work, Nothing is free. I figure this will hold till next weekend.

Attachments

• Forest Ford 010.jpg
  • Forest Ford 013.jpg
  • Forest Ford 014.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
I would suggest putting a plate across the weld as well. Otherwise you may be back at it again when it cracks alongside the weld. There was some kind of stress causing it, and I doubt that stress went away, so you want to be sure to not have the weld be the only thing holding.

We posted at about the same time... A full plate would have been better, but that should do the trick.

I would suggest putting a plate across the weld as well. Otherwise you may be back at it again when it cracks alongside the weld. There was some kind of stress causing it, and I doubt that stress went away, so you want to be sure to not have the weld be the only thing holding.

We posted at about the same time... A full plate would have been better, but that should do the trick.

I have another plate for the inside of the frame. So yea. I also have to do the top flange of the frame. To tired to deal with it today., That will hold till next weekend.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA

X2. I would suggest a doubler made in the shape of a diamond so as to gradually draw the load away from the cracked area. The trouble with a blunt butt weld is twofold in that not only are the residual stresses from the weld of unknown magnitude (conceivably, right at the material yield strength or greater) and any sharp groove/pit is an initiation point for the crack to resurface (stress in it's purest form = force/area, and the area at the bottom of a crack/pit is approaching zero, thus, stress goes through the roof). The idea with the doubler is to take the load away from the failed area and the diamond shape does it gradually rather than abruptly (fatigue and durability concerns resolved with the diamond shape).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts