Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thrust bearing failures

Does anyone have the stats on crankshaft thrust bearing failure in the 5.4l 3V engines? Thanks for any help in advance.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Why? have you had multiple failures? Hasn't been anything here that stands out.

Not yet, I just bought an 07 5.4 with 68,000 and have since been told that year had thrust bearing issues. Just trying to find out if it's as common as some say or just a handful of failures that get blown out of proportion via these blogs......we all know how easy that happens, bad news travels fast, much faster than the good.

....and thanks for the reply, I'm already thinking it's exaggerated a bit just from the way you answered here.

Last edited:
2007 F250 68,000 miles...I'm not sure if I've mentioned this on this site but I bought this truck with the 5.4 3V via the internet.
I have another question about the 5.4l 3V and the Phaser/timing chain noise issues reported by some.
Is this a common problem with these engines or do most work fine for many, many miles? I have not gotten to my truck yet but when I do get there if the problems are present I want to know what to expect and what to say to the dealer if he denies any knowledge of these problems. Thanks for taking the time to read my posts.

blacksnapon

Staff member
2007 F250 68,000 miles...I'm not sure if I've mentioned this on this site but I bought this truck with the 5.4 3V via the internet.
I have another question about the 5.4l 3V and the Phaser/timing chain noise issues reported by some.
Is this a common problem with these engines or do most work fine for many, many miles? I have not gotten to my truck yet but when I do get there if the problems are present I want to know what to expect and what to say to the dealer if he denies any knowledge of these problems. Thanks for taking the time to read my posts.
Debris from extended oil changes, poor quality oil filters coming apart plugging oil passages to the phasers is the first thing to look for.

Debris from extended oil changes, poor quality oil filters coming apart plugging oil passages to the phasers is the first thing to look for.
Thank you for the reply, I'll be on the lookout for this and if I'm lucky enough to find the OO used good quality oil and filters and not caused any undo damage already I'll be sure and stay with Motorcraft filters and a good quality synthetic oil.

Ford Truck Articles