Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'89 ignition problems

My truck started not starting today. The key turns to 'start' before the glow plug relay engages and it can't turn anymore to engage the starter. I found this link with directions to replace the ignition actuator. Is this the issue or is it the switch itself? The cylinder is new, just replaced today.

Fellro

Staff member
The switch itself is under the dash, on the top side of the column. The key lock operates it by moving a push rod. It isn't all that unusual for these switches to bind up after a while. Before tearing into everything for the actuator, I would take the column down a bit and get the 2 screws out and run the switch manually.

To add to this. The switch itself is slotted for adjustment, when you changed out the cylinder, you may have bent the rod, or just knocked it out of alignment.

What I do. Drop the column like Fellro said. Disconnect neg from battery. Turn the key to "on" position, not "start". Loosen the nuts holding the switch down. Push it towards the steering wheel until it wants to spring back. At the point where it just springs back. Tighten the nuts. Turn key off, hook up battery. Test it before you put column back up. May have to adjust for sweet spot due to wear.

Hope this helps.

Ford Truck Articles