Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help Request: Wiring Amber Flashers and Light Bar for 2nd Truck

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys! I am planning on purchasing another truck in the near future and making it my winter driver/worker. I want to wire up a light bar and some flashers on the grill, bumper, and on whatever headache rack I decide to throw on it. So 1 LED bar and 12 LED markers total. I want to have an alternating double flash pattern.
I understand I need to include a flasher module with some sort of switch panel and I really don't know where to start in terms of a parts list and where along the wires everything is placed. I couldn't find much on the internet so I figured I'd try here.

460Trucker

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
From what I can see, the flashers are integral....you just simply need an on/off switch...unless I'm missing something.

460Trucker

So If I want to make some clearance lights into strobes, I just need to get an integrated switch panel?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So If I want to make some clearance lights into strobes, I just need to get an integrated switch panel?

I wasn't sure what you were asking when you posted that link....if you want to do that, as far as I know, you will either have to change the clearance lights into combo units or straight LED units....and normally you would buy the strobe controller separately..unless the light bar that you buy has a second output for them.

Fellro

Staff member
I don't think they technically flash, just seem like it due to the rotator blocking/reflecting the light intermittently.

For clearance lights to be a strobe, they would need to be brighter than stock. Otherwise they are just flashing...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There are LED units Roger that can act as both a clearance lamp and as a stobe...they need to have the correct driver though.

So they might have 4 sets of LED's inside the lamp housing and they can be turned on as clearance lamp with reduced voltage (courtesy of the driver)...and then for various modes of strobe, they will alternate or sequence the LED's with full voltage.

Fellro

Staff member
I was more referring to using the lights as are, but yep, you can change them up to work more as a strobe. Not sure on the cost... I know our mini marker lights that we put on our rigs at work are like 1/2" across, but bright as heck...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Gotcha....I'm having issues reading and comprehending today....it's time for bed.

460Trucker

Okay. I understand the light bar wiring now.
So for the markers I would just wire them normally and then splice in a strobe module and make sure theres a switch for the strobing mechanism as well?

460Trucker

460Trucker

Hi Mike, can't wait to see the new truck with the lighting!!

cool :cooldude:

Hey Roy! I can't wait till I find one (another 9th gen, Probably a F250, maybe a F150). It's going to be a fun project.

460Trucker

Ok so I figured out how I want them patterned. I have divided the lights into two groups. They will alternately strobe. I have written up a rough diagram on their placement and which ones will be wired together.

What I need to know is how to incorporate the strobe controller (probably 2 for this project I am guessing) and if the controller needs to be wired to a seperate switch and somehow connected to the rocker switch.

StobeWireDiagram_zpsa24f0930.png

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You are going to need a strobe driver Mike....and it may or may not (depending on the model) have more than one output and probably will have a selector on the unit to choose the type of pattern

460Trucker

You are going to need a strobe driver Mike....and it may or may not (depending on the model) have more than one output and probably will have a selector on the unit to choose the type of pattern

So would something like this be appropriate?
http://www.amazon.com/Control-Controller-Module-Strobe-Vehicle/dp/B00J8F9C4I/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1414107652&sr=1-8&keywords=strobe+controller

Or would one of the physical boxes like this be more reliable? (This one fits the amp requirements)
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/sho-me-heavy-duty-strobe-style-led-flasher/1761/4258/

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

The heavy duty one would be the one Mike...you just have to pay attention to your loads.

460Trucker

The heavy duty one would be the one Mike...you just have to pay attention to your loads.

Thanks for the help and guidance on this Duncan. Can't wait to get started on this! smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles