Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine Mounts Knowledge needed for 4x4 300 cu in install...

G'day Guys

I need your help on finding the right info on engine mounts…

I have a 79 F100 4x4 down here in Australia & pulled out its crappy 4.1 lt crossflow & installing a fully rebuilt 300 cu in 6 cylinder into "Big Red"

But the engine mounts won't fit the new motor & no one down here seems to know the answers just yet - so Im asking for some help on advice, part numbers, pictures…

The ones I was sold are for a V8, & are 6 inches short (mounts need to go forward…

Any advice would be appreciated fella's…

BTW - I intend to complete many Journeys Across Australia in Big Red so I gotta get it right or the right engine mounts.. -
You can check out Big Red on my FB page Link - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Journeyman/537195473026694?ref=hl
or my website www.thejourneyman.com.au

Thankyou!

Cheers Paul
"The Journeyman"

I'm assuming you mean extend them (the original engine mounts)…

I was hoping there were factory made mounts that I didn't know about, but thanks for the reply guys!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There are factory mounts...you need to locate a pair of them from a truck that had a 300 in it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
engine_mount.png

I think the guys are talking about the Brackets that bolts to the cross member that goes under engine that the engine mount bolts to.

I know there driffrent from the 302/351. to the 460 engine in that body truck.

The V6 engine wasn't used much here in the states. Some were used by the US gov. and the nj forest fire service had some as well. But i dont think you could buy one from a Ford dealer here.

Thanks for your replies guys…

This engine is a straight 6cyl 300 cu in twiceblown351
& is going into a 4x4 79 mod shorty…

Thanks for diagram
DNFXDLI - I will check it against my workshop manual as well + numbers

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I can't find the part number....damn pdf wont open.

Do you have another diagram showing F100 (not 250/350) 4x4 1979 brackets to fit the 300 cu in motor? as the farm is slightly different close to the crossmember…
my workshop diagram shows the brackets to be used are no 5057-G & 5058-L which are different from the bracket numbers in your diagram for a 1977 F250/350 4x4 for 300 cu in… which show 6028 & 6029

Appreciating the help DNFXDLI

Thanks mate,

The new F100 diagram shows pretty much what i suspected in moving the mounts I have forward to extra set of holes (gaining me about 80mm) of room but Im still short of about 40/50mm. I may have to try to re drill the face of rail these mounts & move the hole forward.
I have tried the mounts in this position before (questioning myself to find the solution) & they just didn't fit snug like they should but I may have to wear this & tighten the damn things till they bend into the chassis shape…

Thanks again mate - appreciate yours & others input & if you find out some new info please let me know…

Paul

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No problem...and it looks to me that there is an extension piece that bolts on to the perch that is mounted to the frame...and then the engine mount goes on that extension piece....I still can't open my other file to see what the part number is though.

I can't see an extension piece in the diagram to be honest - but I do have
engine mounts 6038 (both sides) that bolt to the block & I seem to have the rail mounts (perch mounts) 6028 & 6029… (however as I said couple replies ago - mine a different numbers for some reason…

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You're right....my mistake....it must be referring to the actual mount that goes on the engine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm wondering if perhaps the actual brackets that mount to the frame were different being that original engine and an Aussie truck?

Fellro

Staff member
Good chance it was different, at least the original mounts likely are. Not sure how much if at all the frame is different.

They look exactly the same (I should try to get a photo to the thread to make it easier) but my workshop manual diagram shows the brackets to be used are no's 5057-G & 5058-L as opposed to 6028 shown in your diagram - altho i suppose numbers can be changed etc
I'm gonna go have another play with my brackets today (they support the V8) thats why I think they may be ever so slightly different..
I will get back to you guys asap…

Cheers:))
Paul

I read somewhere on Fordification.com/net that the engine mounts for a 78 model F100 4x4 with a 300 cu in cyl were a special type one off… at least thats how i read the post… so i may be onto the telephone & talk to as many F100 wreckers etc to find out the truth (but you would think Ford Australia would have some records & part numbers to check thru…

Ford Truck Articles