Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trucks been sitting

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Battery with newer style cable. Then to frame. Then starter. Starter shot is a 4.9 parts truck with no exhaust
14b39b95803e8f15d96f4f1ee9ec56a7.jpg
d71179db58f6eae207c102fd95a81633.jpg
548a3fe978f719e659bad2ca0d8ca061.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Okay. So ground from battery, ground from starter to frame to battery negative correct. Looks like that's the way it's pictures.. i do appreciate the help!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yessir
No problem
You needa good ground for the starter and engine. You also need a good ground for the frame and body to work.

That'll be on the list coming up next weekend i guess. Any links you got for cable wiring? I got my positive cable from Walmart but id rather have something good. Lengths would be great if you could tell me what you used lol. But that will be coming up hopefully next weekend

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'll get Out and measure. I have no problem with the Walmart cable. The negative one on that battery pictured came from there. I added a second 2 terminal end cable to the frame.
I may have another one in my box with a number on it.

That be great. The positive cable has a cut end on it to supply power. Wonder if i get a negative cable of i could just use that?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Show a picture. Honestly, the cables on the truck are probably corroded inside the cable. Look at the insulation on both ends real good. Any swelling or green goop, replace it.
If using a red cable for ground make sure to put black tape on it. Second problem will be positive end is larger than negative where it goes on the battery post. The positive cable may not close enough to make a clamp tight

Fellro

Staff member
As was eluded to, common way to ground battery is actually to the motor somewhere. Starter is the largest draw, so the recomenedation to use the starter bolt just shortens the path and reduces possible connection issues. Then there is the ground that many take off not knowing any better that goes from the motor to the firewall which grounds the body. You must have both to make everything work right.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I usually take a #10 wire from one of the wiper motor bolts to the block to help with that
I forgot that one

Yeah guess ill be doing atleast the starter one this weekend. Im gonna try and save up the money for a better battery. Just so i know for sure it aint the battery..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Like I stated before, I picked up a 650 cca group 65 from Walmart for $48.98.
That has. A 1 year free replacement
They have a $79.00 with a 2 year replacment.
I just bought another group 65 for another truck with a 3 year replacment from Costco. That one was $120. It's 650 cca too

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
On RockAuto you should be able to drill down to the specific part by year and model of your truck to confirm that those are correct.

Update: i feel sooooo stupid u guys. I was measuring the length of wire to start and ground.. guess what, the dang ground isnt even bolted to the stater anywhere!!!!
Great. Im so dumb its unreal.
Does that ground wire go to the bolt of starter to engine? I dont see any other place it would go. I feel so stupid. How in the world did i miss the most simplest piece???

Fellro

Staff member
Factory generally hooked it up to a point on the block, so the original wire may not make it to the starter as Charlie was indicating to do. Both work, the attachment at the starter just shortens the ground path and reduces the number of potential bad connections,.

Would not having that wire hooked up cause the starter to be very slow? Or even stay engaged after ignition is off? Hopefully if i get time tomorrow ill fool with it .

They way its hooked up right now is factory looking.. goes from (I think) the starter, to the frame towards the front, then looks to go to the neg side of battery.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Factory would hook to the frame then to a bolt on the block right in front of the motor mount bracket. The problem is the bolt through the cable into the frame rusts and corroded.
I take a cable from the post to the frame, and a second from the post to the starter. You can go back to the bolt on the block, just make sure everything is clean and tight

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
They way its hooked up right now is factory looking.. goes from (I think) the starter, to the frame towards the front, then looks to go to the neg side of battery.

Starter to solenoid. That is technically a positive cable. It is hot when you hit the key, and the trigger wire energizes the solenoid

Ford Truck Articles