Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trucks been sitting

Ah. U were right. I bought an o'reilly's solenoid today. Umm yeah. That's going back. I was reading reviews and apparently it keeps your starter turning after the key is off. Motor craft doesn't sell the solenoid anymore. Where do i go from here

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Okay so i think i have found somewhat of an OEM grade solenoid. Gonna try to get it hooked up. Haven't had the money to buy a new battery, so ill just take the one from the Cummins and out in it.
Gonna try and get that oil changed too if the ground isnt too wet. And i gotta out that battery cable on and also clean the cable from starter to solenoid.
Hopefully get this engine to crank like liberals did stealing the election haha.
And if all that works, drone flying time!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Crossing my fingers for luck for you. I haven't forgotten the link for the exhaust. Ill get on that today

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ok, dual, with tips, you have to weld the tips, nice tone this is on my 94
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-...:F-150&hash=item259bf7a36d:g:~LIAAOSwxGNbhZV~

single, like stock. not familiar with this, good price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-97-Ford...:F-150&hash=item2607c51da3:g:TYcAAOSw3nNdoo4w

cherry bomb with tips I have this on my Eddie Bauer 4.9/ has an awesome tone. Loud, but not obnoxious
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-Bom...512951?hash=item259bf80637:g:SvEAAOSwhrpcMCqT
cherry bomb no tips
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-...:F-150&hash=item2f20d3671f:g:p98AAOSwzyBbgF0o

2 chamber no tips
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-...:F-150&hash=item2601099f03:g:mmIAAOSwDLVbhZbH
They have many more styles and options. systems are cat back. include clamps and hangers.

I have been using these guys for many years, and am happy with the product and fit.

Price is also decent.

Last edited:
I don't believe my truck is a cat setup. Its been a very long time since i been underneath it. Its 28 degrees out. 32 inside the cummins. So as soon as it gets a little warmer out there im gonna start. Im freaking stoked. Hopefully my passenger side battery of the cummins and that solenoid will work. Im anxious but idk where to go next if this don't work

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Cat back is just where this starts. There was a cat from the factory starting in 1975. It may have been removed and replaced with a piece of " test" pipe. You would start your new exhaust from there.

Before anything take a 15/16 socket and put it on the damper bolt. Turn to the right make sure the motor is not locked up

Last edited:
Motor definitely not locked up. Just now getting around 32 degrees out. I can turn it, even the starter can turn it so its definitely moving. Just something aint right with connections or my cummins battery is low. Ill know later today. :)

Motor turns fast.. but not getting any fuel to stay running. Got the fuel coming from a seafoam can full of gas.
f2fa6a25ca3d084c66402b86b0417955.jpg
70ab9cfaa9f7338a5a4a3e5cf115066b.jpg
522692a44e654d509cb6697ce1db411e.jpg
cc193c5a818c9b46cbb9f8f27a06690c.jpg

Okay so idk if my battery is bad that im using or not. Truck turns over slow still but it does start when i use starting fluid. Also i had my fiance give it some gas and sure enough it fueled itself. So the truck definitely still runs after 6 years or so.
I guess my new objective is to find someone who sells a factory OEM solenoid, since when i hit the solenoid it stops the starter from engaging.
Also i still need to find a starting cable wire, and a battery ground wire.
Still doesnt crank fast whatsoever for some reason. Brand new positive cable tho. Still gets warm but not hot.
Only cranks over somewhat fast enough to hit a lick and then back to slow cranking. Almost one second in between each "chug"..."chug".. runs... Chug... U get it i hope.
Oh well that solenoid was only bout 15$ anyways.
Any advice from here?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sounds like a ground is weak or bad. Run a new cable from the battery to the starter. Run a second leg from the terminal down to the frame. You will see where the origional cable goes battery to frame to block. The problem you are running into is two fold. Starter needs more ground, and body needs more ground.

Glad the fuel pump finally decided to come alive. That will save you a little money

The way mine is set up:

Positive cable from battery to solenoid.
Black cable(idk if original) to starter.
Ground from battery to the body. Idk where it goes from there.

May have to draw me up that schematic haha. Thats hard to visualize.
Seems like if i ran a positive cable from battery to the starter. It would make the starter engage

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Negative cable from battery to starter.........

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Thats the solenoid you want. Same one I use for my snow plows. You won't have a problem there

This is how i have mine hooked up. I dont have the ignition coil thing hooked up. So run a ground from battery to starter? Im so cony..and im very sorry
a0c733ddd9c4a5bbfde1174af88cc5b9.jpg

But it looks like the starter is grounded due to it being mounted to engine correct? Where would i add a ground to the starter? At the bolt where the starter hooks up?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yes. Just undo the bottom bolt and put it there. Give me a minute to grab some pics

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts