Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Injector Replacement 1995 4.9L

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I've been having an injector leak down problem for the last few years, and since it only becomes a problem on hot days(90*-100+*) it hasn't been a high priority. I found a great deal on 6 rebuilt injectors on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Precision-Auto-Injectors $92 dollars and some change, and 2 day shipping included. I went out Friday and rounded up the gaskets. All I really needed was the plenum/ upper intake gasket, but I've had a leak on my valve cover gasket that I wanted to take care of too.
I started about 12:30pm after the postal carrier arrived with my injectors. 100*+ in my garage, but I wanted to finish before the auto parts/ hardware store in town closed. Everything went well. I had it torn down in about an hour, and finished by 3:30pm.
049.jpg

050.jpg

052.jpg

I was amazed how clean the insides of my motor were. I've been using Rotella T for 4 years. I guess it's good stuff. There was only a very small amount of sludge at the rear of the valve cover.
051.jpg

This was an easy repair, and you may want to label the vacuum lines unless you're gifted like me with great short term memory...........What was I talking about..... oh, OK I remember now. The most difficult part was the nut on the EGR tube. I sprayed it with some PB blaster let a sit a while the warmed the engine. I loosened it yesterday so the engine would be cool today, while I worked on it. Be very careful with those little plastic vacuum lines, and it wouldn't hurt to have some vacuum hose handy incase you break one.

I hope this also improves my milage, but it did fix an annoying little miss my engine has had all the time I've owned this truck.

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Good work man!

Upper Intake Plenums are always fun,especially when you have to do Valve cover gaskets.How hard was it to remove the plenum on the 4.9?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Not too hard. The last two bolts have to come out from under the truck. I used every 3/8" extension I had to reach them. A 12",2 6", and a 3".

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I see.I know when I helped dad do the valve cover gaskets on his 87 302,there was a dang bolt right in the center of the plenum,and the space between the runners was nearly microscopic,and most of his sockets were too big to fit.Eventually he found one small enough to reach.It definitely was a pain though.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
It was worth the effort. My truck starts quicker and runs smoother. I'll take it for a drive tomorrow to see if it helped the gas milage.

Man, I like it so far. Seems like this and the radius arm bushings were two of the best repairs I've made to this truck. Since I got this truck in '01, I've changed the shocks, front springs, radius arm bushings, front brake rotors w/ ceramic pads, tie rods, clutch pack, slave cylinder, transmission, etc.................Damn, I got a new truck now. No wonder it's so nice.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Great job Biff and I'm glad the outcome was good and that the whole project was pretty easy...... I've been wanting to change my injectors as well...maybe that'll get rid of my little miss. And yea, 302/351 hasa T40 torx bit.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Mine were worn out, JR. They got 316,000 on them. They probably needed changing about 200,000 miles ago.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts