Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

67 F250 Camper Special - Need original rims!

Hi all. I have a '67 F250 4x2 Camper Special I inherited from my father. My goal is to restore to original condition. Not a show truck but bring it back to its original luster.

Motor was rebuilt about 25 years ago and has had maybe 2k miles since. Body is straight and interior is in good shape. Except for the dash. I already priced out replacement padded dashboards and they run abot $400.

What it am really hoping to find are original rims and caps. It think my dad had the 16 1/2 split rims on it and there was a 15 option as well. Where can I find 8 bolt rims that will fit the original hub caps?

Thanks!!

Hi all. I have a '67 F250 4x2 Camper Special I inherited from my father. My goal is to restore to original condition. Not a show truck but bring it back to its original luster.

Motor was rebuilt about 25 years ago and has had maybe 2k miles since. Body is straight and interior is in good shape. Except for the dash. I already priced out replacement padded dashboards and they run abot $400.

What it am really hoping to find are original rims and caps. It think my dad had the 16 1/2 split rims on it and there was a 15 option as well. Where can I find 8 bolt rims that will fit the original hub caps?

Thanks!!

Hollander shows for the '67 F-250 the following wheel possibilities:
16 x 5-1/2
16.5 x 6 single rear wheels
16.5 x 6 dual rear wheels
16.5 x 6-3/4
17.5 x 5-1/4
It shows a 15 x 5-1/2 for the '73 & '74 Econoline, but that's a 5 lug wheel.

Hi Ozzie. Thanks for the reply. Would I need to fing 8 lug rims at a scrap yard or is there a dealer anyone knows of at those measurements and then the '67 hub caps would fit? Is there anything like a year range I need to be concerned. How would I know? Is there a way to tell if the rims have the mouldings, notches or whatever it identify them?

Sorry for my ignorance. I know my way around the engine. Not wheel rims.
Thanks again!

Fellro

Staff member
Split ring rims are easy to identify in that it actually has a ring by the bead of the tire to facilitate removal. You would remove the ring by prying it off much the way we do with tires now. The tire then would slip off the rim easily. The problem with them is many shops will not work on them any more because if you don't get the ring seated properly it can come of with explosive force and of course be very dangerous.

You can use more modern steel factory type rims that the hubcaps should work on just fine. Pickup up to 1997 with 16" rims and Econoline series vans possibly to present have the bolt pattern to mount and accept hubcaps. The trouble with 16.5 rims is tire availability. 16" became the most common through the 80's and 16.5 tires are less available now.

Hi Ozzie. Thanks for the reply. Would I need to fing 8 lug rims at a scrap yard or is there a dealer anyone knows of at those measurements and then the '67 hub caps would fit? Is there anything like a year range I need to be concerned. How would I know? Is there a way to tell if the rims have the mouldings, notches or whatever it identify them?

Sorry for my ignorance. I know my way around the engine. Not wheel rims.
Thanks again!

As noted, the one piece wheels are safer to work with. Also, as noted, the 16.5" tires have fallen out of favor somewhat, though they are still available with a smaller selection. I recently bought some 16.5" radials from Firestone which I like, so far. Other manufacturers also have some to offer, on a limited selection basis. The 16" are more widely available, but the 5-1/2" wheel width on the original wheels would limit how large a tire could be used correctly. I don't know what is available from new wheel vendors. A web search may be in order for you if you want to go in that direction. Salvage yards would probably have the original equipment wheels. They would probably require cleaning and painting. I couldn't tell from your post what part of the world you are in. Some yards will ship; some won't. If there are lots of yards in your area it would be helpful if you go for original equipment. There are vendors that handle new original equipment stuff, but it might be hard to find a full set for a '67. Hollander probably could provide a year range after you decide which wheel you want. The wheels are stamped with ID numbers. The Ford truck parts book also could be helpful. Do some homework and decide on a course. There is a lot of knowledge on the forum, but you'll probably have to narrow the search.

Fellro

Staff member
The originals were bias ply generally, and commonly 7.00-R16 was what was used. The near equivalent of that is a 235-85 R16. Rims from say a mid 80's truck would give you same fit and backspacing as the originals, and also have hubcap nubs on them.

We can still get 16.5 tires here, just much fewer choices and rarely stocked anywhere. I can order them any day, walk into a store and buy and drive away, not so much. They do tend to be a little wider as well, as they are generally 8.25" or 9.5" across. The 16" were taller and narrower, 7.0"

Ford Truck Articles