Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

i need help with my 71

i have a 71 F100 ranger xlt 2wd and i want to put a posi in it. i have looked at towards a couple of truck bed trailers for donations but i dont know what years ford put out posi rearends. is it even a good idea to use truck bed trailer rearends? can anyone help me

I would like to welcome you to the forum. I really have no clue about the later trucks. However, there are quite a few around here that do.

With it being Sunday (and Mothers day) it might take a while to get an answer. More of the regulars will be around tomorrow.

Plus we have a really good ford tech area if need be.

If it is a Ford 9". you have to post the axle Ident tag so I can determine the axle makeup .
Ford used 28 & 31 spline axles.

The easiest way is to find a complete "Limited Slip or Traction Lock" rear ends.

Look for these Axle codes on the rating plate on 1973-79 trucks.

H2,H3, H4,H6.. the signify LS and Traction lock

For 67-72 Trucks 9"

3.25 - 3300# Ford 17
3.50 - 3300# Ford 08
3.70 - 3300# Ford 09
4.11 - 3300# Ford 05
3.00 - 3300# Ford 02
3.25 - 3300# Ford Limited Slip A1
3.50 - 3300# No. Ford Limited Slip B9
4.11 - 3300#. Ford Limited Slip A5
3.70 - 3300# Ford Limited Slip A2
3.25 - 3600# Ford H1
3.50 - 3600# Ford H2
4.09 - 3600# Ford H3

Posi..... Is a GM term for their axles

Last edited:
sorry about the posi remark

I don't think anyone will worry about that around here. :)

I asked a similar question about a 9" on another forum and was very quickly corrected. OOPS! :redface:

smiliehijacked Dennis: if I may hijack the thread for a second....when did ford start using the 3.73 in the 9"? I traded for one months ago and have not picked it up yet. It is the narrow rear (somewhere below 72) and I know he swapped his 4.10 pumpkin out of it into his wider one (for his truck) and he said the one he put in was a 3.73. Is he incorrect?

Sorry for the slight hijack...back to your regularly scheduled program now. smilieeatndrink

i also have a problem with really loose steering can anyone help me with that

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Steering problems can be cummulative. A little play here and there adds up quick. I'd start by looking at the tie rod ends, then following the linkage on up checking for any play. Also check for slop in the kingpins ( Am I right about that being a kingpin front end?)

The easiest way to check is with the front end on jacksands, try to wiggle the tire to see if there is any play in it. If it wiggles up and down, it could be kingpins or bearings, or both. If the wiggle is side to side, check the tie rod ends.

To inspect the entire front end properly get the truck up on hoist and watch the overall setup while wiggling things around.

You're too limited by laying on the ground.

I find the cheapest and best way is to drop into a brake place for a free brake inspection and tell the guys there that you would like to go into the shop area and see any trouble spots that may need replacing...playing the kinda dumb
customer
All they see is possible dollars,but in the end you used their free service to inspect things yourself ..and instead of agreeing to get work done .....telling them that you will have to book an appointment for any possible repair they may want to do when you get the money to do it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts