Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New 51 Ford F1 Project

My first post to this board. Just purchased a 51 F1, and am in the process of doing a full frame off project. My plan is to use a 351 crate motor, with an AOD, and a new rear axle. Also planning on dropping it lower using a dropped axle, can't afford those fancy front suspension mods. Doing this on a budget so I'd appreciate any recommendations or suggestions...
I'll try to keep some photos coming.

I need to make a change on the rear axle pretty quick. it has the orig rear with 4.27 gears - not going to get me down the highway. interested in good options for a 9".. need to keep same width, and also want the 5 1/2 bolt spacing.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Welcome!!
Rear axle is easy - every half-ton 9" from 57 thru 72 is the same width and uses the 5 on 5 1/2" pattern.
Ratio is a bit more personal preference. With an automatic I'd choose something in the 3.00 to 3.25 range.... but that's my opinion. You'll hear more ideas.

Welcome. Truck frames were all 34" wide through 1972. So an F-100 or F-150 axle should be a bolt in swap. Something I've read sticks in my head that complicates the '72 swap. I don't recall what it is but don't think it's a deal breaker. Good luck with your project. Love the '51 and '52s. Stu

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
After Stu's post about the swap I can add that you'll want caster wedges (sometimes called tapered chassis shims) to go under the spring pack to adjust pinion angle.

You may have to relocate the shock brackets ( I ground mine off and re-welded to the tube where I wanted them.

And you will need to adjust the driveshaft length - I haven't done the AOD swap so I can't say how it compares to the stock trans.

havi

third member
Welcome. Truck frames were all 34" wide through 1972. So an F-100 or F-150 axle should be a bolt in swap. Something I've read sticks in my head that complicates the '72 swap. I don't recall what it is but don't think it's a deal breaker. Good luck with your project. Love the '51 and '52s. Stu

Could be the 9.38" rear that looks like the 9" found under some F100's through 1972. Parts for them are hard to find.

Good luck on your new '51 !

My first post to this board. I'll try to keep some photos coming.

Well ? have you finished that truck yet? What’s the hold up? And where are the pictures, come on man get with the project. Time’s a wasting. Next thing you know. Just like me, you will almost too old to do a much. :)wasntme: Welcome).

Here is some incentive, enticement, motivation, encouragement ? :)

Gastank.jpg
psinstall.jpg
powersteeringbracket.jpg
1951f1wheels.jpg
brakekight.jpg
dashgauges.jpg
wiringboxsmall.jpg
bedwoodsmallpix.jpg
tailgate2012.jpg
rearfenderexhaust004845x634_zps698532eb.jpg
Raysf12013_zps8461d49b.jpg

Boy, I sure know how to kill a thread, every time I post it just up and dies.

I thought I was just trying to participate, ……sorry guys.

:hammer:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Boy, I sure know how to kill a thread, every time I post it just up and dies.

I thought I was just trying to participate, ……sorry guys.

:hammer:

Hey, that's my job - killing threads. At least it seems that way sometimes. I appreciate the stuff you post Ray - keep it up!

:rofl2: Told you so Ray :rofl2:
Yes, I know what you mean, it kind of makes me seconded guess myself sometimes. I wonder if I’m posting the wrong thing or not interesting or just plain stupid but my super ego always comes to my rescue.:)

Turns out my ability to kill threads can be useful, I have been carefully and quietly spreading a diabolical plot over at the HAMB, every time one of those very rude ignorant infants that live in their mother’s basement shoots of his vulgar mouth I just post, and viola, it is the end of that thread.

This truck site is better then the other one, not so many if any, of the same question over and over, which if the lazy original poster took a couple of minutes they could find the answer by doing a search. But that would require some effort on their part, and here is the frightening thing, these are the same people who are going to look after you in your “Golden” years.

This f1 site needs more posts, and of course that becomes a catch 22, sooner or latter the same question posters will arrive. Hum, good thing this all really doesn’t matter.

I hope I have said something to get your attention, this thread at time of writing had 13 posts with 266 views, that’s 253 people (some repeats?) that had nothing to say! Get off your butt and post, disagree with me if you like (but I have been to the HAMB), post pictures of your project, ask a (new) question, I think there is a lot of mature wisdom on this site lurking out there to help you.

Well that rant sure feels good, :wasntme: ……………………………………………what do you think?

I found that if you don't have a 5 digit post count and aren't buddy buddy with everybody, people won't give a hoot. I like your project, very ambitious. I remember you posting somewhere about how frustrated you were with your wiring dilemma. Hope you've got that all figured out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Somebody piss in your cornflakes Derek?

Oh...and very cool pics! smilieFordlogo

I like your project, very ambitious. your wiring dilemma.

Thank you for the reply, appreciated.

Hum, if you think the project is ambitious, you should see what I’m trying to do with the doors, fool that I am. Without letting the cat out of the bag (future post) someone said you can’t do power door locks on a f1, oh yeah, yes you can if you have a spare month or two. And then add power one piece window, Mazda inside door latch and different type (surprise) outside door latches. (no droop model), and inner door upholstery panels. Crazy stuff.:headbang:

The wiring is OK I think, so other then completely cutting and re-splicing everything, it is now rolled up in a monster ugly rats nest inside the centre consol, butt ugly. (next life fix) :(

Thanks again.:)

I must apologize to pwoudenberg, for high-jacking his thread, it was unintentional but still rude on my part.

Cool project. Some how I completely missed this thread.

Thanks smokey, and I don't mean this negatively but with respect ..................considering the number of people who didn't post you have a lot of company. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts