Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Articles needed on FAQs

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
When you new guys get a chance, we could use some of your advice and wisdom on the usual issues:

Rear end swaps
Transmission swaps
T5 conversions
Difference between 48-50's and 51/52's
Widow maker wheels and safer substitutes
Steering gearbox rebuild
etc

Probably should be fresh and clean unless you're cutting and pasting from your own website : )

Tim - I'll start working on a wheel guide. I swapped notes with Morris a few years ago about doing one on FTE but never did because, like you hinted, it would have become the property of IB. This happened to me when I sent some rim charts to Vintage Truck Magazine a few years ago with a letter to the editor. Once sent the magazine owned the charts. I later found they'd been released to the Chevy guys and are today part of the Stovebolt.com tech page. Which is fine because they are good guys too, and this is supposed to about wheel safety. I'll use different charts here. Stu

Tim,
I hope you get some input on this. I always thing I want to contribute something but I never seem to have time to sit down and compile anything. I might be able to pen something on the few mods I've done on my truck that someone could be a small part of a larger tech article or something.

Bobby

havi

third member
Bobby, do a write up on your gas tank install, that's gotta be worth something.

I don't have anything to add of substantial use yet, but when I get to working on my flatbed, I plan to do a full write-up.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I was thinking of Bob and his sheetmetal swap info

I've done the rear-end swap unless one of you want to do that one.

havi

third member
I've eluded to it before, but wouldn't it be nice if we had a collective reference chart of what came standard, and what was optional, also the colors used for the bodies, frames, engines, etc... Broken down by model and year?

Granted the darksiders may cringe a bit, lol.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've eluded to it before, but wouldn't it be nice if we had a collective reference chart of what came standard, and what was optional, also the colors used for the bodies, frames, engines, etc... Broken down by model and year?

We could probably start a manual/literature subforum much like the Gen 5,6,7 as a reference guide.

Won't matter to darksiders 'cause they throw away the instructions on anything they buy or do anyway smilietease .

Seriously, Scott, I know you've archived a lot of the line drawings you've come across for our era, and any that you or I don't already have scanned I can go ahead and scan. I've got the Salesman's Handbooks for '51, '52, and '54 plus the Body Builder's Layout Book for '57. The '57 book's pages are too big to scan and have readable, but like I've offered on the other forum, I'll send paper copies to anybody that needs them like I did for you.

The Salesman's Handbooks also provide a lot of the other detail you mention. Stu

havi

third member
Generation 1 only, I'll post what I have for line drawings:

Half ton conventional panel truck F1 model C
paneldims.jpg

Half ton conventional pickup F1 model C
pudims.jpg

Three quarter ton conventional express-bed F2 model D
f-2x.jpg

Three quarter ton (heavy duty) conventional express-bed F3 model Y
f-3chart1.jpg

One ton conventional truck F4 Model T
f-4cabchassis.jpg

One ton stakebed truck F4 Model T
f-4stakebed.jpg

Ton and half conventional truck F5 Model T (TL)
f-5cabchassis.jpg

Ton and half COE truck F5 Model T (TL)
f-5coe.jpg

Ton and half cowl chassis truck F5 Model T (TL)
chassiscowlchassiswindshield2.jpg

Two ton conventional truck F6 model TH
F-6cabchassis.jpg

I don't have drawings for the F3 parcel delivery, or the F7 and F8, even though I do have access to a big-job chassis book, I haven't got my hands on it yet. If you look closely, you'll see the grilles represent either '48-50 or '51-52, and whether that changes certain weight ratings, I don't know off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I've got the Parcel Delivery, F-7 and F-8 charts. And think there might be merit to including data on both early year '51 and late year '51 for the F-3 model since there were major changes made on the fly that year.

Question for admin/moderator guys. Do you want additional charts posted here in this thread, or posted in some centralized spot? Also, how do you want charts and data posted for the other era trucks. Should I just start threads in those sub-forums? I also have some charts for '38, all charts for '46, and all charts for '54. Stu

Last edited:

havi

third member
I vote for a single thread showing all the line drawings (and without my name put to these drawings, as they are simply reproductions of Ford literature). And, Stu, I may be interested to see what you have for '46?

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I vote for a single thread showing all the line drawings (and without my name put to these drawings, as they are simply reproductions of Ford literature). And, Stu, I may be interested to see what you have for '46?

See post 7 :D

I have a handful of line drawing as well. I'm betting that I don't have anything new though. I pretty much aquired my by the old "right click and save" methodology. I think they are scattered on three different computers, I'll work on getting them in one place.

OK Havi, I'll start on a quickie fuel tank article
Bobby

51PanelMan

Ford Truckaholic
I wouldn't mind doing the 48-50 and 51-52 sheetmetal difference unless Bob has one ready. The only issue is me finding time to sit down and compile everything. I would want to add photos as well to my descriptions.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
If Duncan will start a sub-forum I think it will help to have one location for Ford Service diagrams and pictures. These would be items that we have scanned and are public property and aren't our own.

Within that sub-forum have one thread dedicated to body panel schematics, another thread for wiring harnesses/ignition/charging, another for brakes, etc

There is also a need for personal info that we would generate ourselves. I think we've all come to realize that info of that nature becomes the property of the host. We need a way around that - not that I distrust the guys running FTF, but you never know what the future may hold.

At this point I'm asking questions - is it best to create our own website, post the material there and then link that page to the FTF sub-forum? Maybe admins need to jump in here.

This is how BobJ's body panel differences is already set-up. Stu's wheel info, what I may post on VINs or rearend swaps, Bobby's fuel tank change, front end clip changes, etc., should be protected for us instead of becoming legal property of FTF.

Where do we go from here?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
however you guys choose to provide the info is fine by us. There are a couple ways we may be able to get it posted, whether it's a link or subforum. We are more interested in being able to help members find and share the info than trying to stake any claim to it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The Admin starts and sets up the subforum...I am just a lowly,token peon that helps out...:rofl: :rofl:

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
it's currently set just like the other manual/literature sub-forums. Threads and posts will have to be moderated/approved, for the moment Duncan get's the pleasure of doing that. It's set that way to try and keep some of the off-topic posts from cluttering up a thread with valuable info.

Let us know how it works and if you guys need anything else.

Thanks in advance for sharing any info that you may have.

Ford Truck Articles