Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F550 common problems

Hey all, my name is Willie and I just found your forum. I'm a tree guy in Southern Oregon and just bought an F550 with a 6.4L, auto tranny and 4x4. I'm upgrading from an 01 Cummins and haven't dealt with Powerstroke since their early days. Anyway, I hope you folks can tell me about common problems or preventative fixes. Maybe threads I should search out. I searched f550 and didn't see much but I am sure many gremlins are common to other F series. Any input would be much appreciated. Just bought the truck from the state so I would imagine everything is stock.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey all, my name is Willie and I just found your forum. I'm a tree guy in Southern Oregon and just bought an F550 with a 6.4L, auto tranny and 4x4. I'm upgrading from an 01 Cummins and haven't dealt with Powerstroke since their early days. Anyway, I hope you folks can tell me about common problems or preventative fixes. Maybe threads I should search out. I searched f550 and didn't see much but I am sure many gremlins are common to other F series. Any input would be much appreciated. Just bought the truck from the state so I would imagine everything is stock.
Excessive idle time is not good for them. Watch your oul level carefully. Excessive regens will tend to dilute the oil with fuel. Oil level "growing" is an indicator of possible future problems. Get the latest flash from your dealer because theres new DTCs that will warn you about low coolant levels or overfull oil levels. Depending on how you drive it, your fuel mileage will either be poor or "manageable".

Poor to manageable, that isn't too promising!
What would make me gain oil? All I can think of are leaking head gasket and bad injector spray pattern. Is there something else that could cause it?
Thanks for your reply, starting from scratch again, hope the 6.4 has a better track record than the 6.0!

Ford Truck Articles