Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 F150 misfire

Tuesday night my truck started misfiring along with a tap on the way home from class, when I got home I pulled the code P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. So Wednesday I picked up a New plug and changed it, still had a misfire, so I swapped plugs wires around, misfire stayed with cylinder 1. So Thursday I pulled the fuel rail off and swapped injectors from 1 and 2, again misfire stayed with cylinder 1. I then swapped the coils, with no luck. I put a compression tester on the front 4 holes (1, 2, 5, 6) and of those 4, #1 was the highest compression. I also used a set of Noid lights to check and make sure that the injector was pulsing, and it was. I then took the multi meter and checked power to the plugs for injector 1 and 2, both got 13.6 volts with the truck running. The truck shakes from the misfire at idle, and it shakes and the tap is noticeable up until about 3000 rpm then the truck will set you back in your seat.

​​​​​​​any other ideas on things to try/check? I'm drawing a blank here.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The 97 I had did that a few times. Replacing the wires fixed it. Make sure you work the plug boot up the wire sometimes they are to low and doesn't connect the plug properly.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
make sure to use die electric grease on them, water gets in there and cooks everything if you don't

The 97 I had did that a few times. Replacing the wires fixed it. Make sure you work the plug boot up the wire sometimes they are to low and doesn't connect the plug properly.

I tried that with no luck.

Ford Truck Articles