Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 1

Generation 1 1948-1952 F1 thru F8

Old 05-23-2018, 08:35 AM

old yella is on a distinguished road
Looking under the truck it has a rectangluar tubing frame no cross bars except trans and engine supports. The Isuzu and chevy trucks both used the same lug bolt patterns though.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
That is a beautiful truck!

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
Another option for the chassis might be the 83ish Dodge Ram 50/Mitsubishi Forte. The Caliper marking matches exactly and that truck used a 6 lug bolt pattern as well. I still haven't found a reference for the power steering box number though.

'77 F100 Flareside

Old 06-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Smile update

Okay I put in a new electric wiper motor ,horn and cigarette lighter to charge my phone. Replaced the Idler arm, one motor mount , front calibers and rear brakes and new drums. After a lot of investigation the front is out of a 1985 dodge truck and the back is a chevy rearend. Combined with the 1985 Chevy Engine and trannie, It's alive !
Old 06-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Jasperrc, you got it right on the money. the Idler arm was from Mitsubishi as well.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Texas Chapter member

Good deal, glad you got the parts for it!

How she drive now?

'77 F100 Flareside

Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 AM

I haven't really taken it out for a real test because of all the rain we have been having and I need to replace the cowl gasket because it leaks there badly. I actually got the weather stripping yesterday and will install it today.Today it's supposed to be dry so I'll take it out for sure. I did drive it for a quick drive in the rain and the wiper fell off ! I got it back on and tightened down. Old trucks gotta love them !
Old 06-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yella View Post
I posted photos in the gallery of my 49. This truck supposedly came out of Tennesse, anyone ever seen it before ?
If you'll post your serial number I can tell you if it has ever surfaced on the truck forums/ebay.

Top of the frame rail near th e radiator or data tag on the cowl. Perhaps even the rating tag on the glovebox door.

Should read something like 98RC 123456.

The cowl stamping is more distinctive and give more info IF there is one.

Good looking truck - glad you're getting it sorted out! Welcome!!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:22 PM

the number I have is 97HC178351
Old 06-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't seen that serial number before. Occasionally I'll see repeats on ebay of a truck making the rounds, but not this one.

It is a very early 1949 - likely late January or early February 1949.

Back then, Ford was using the calendar year as the model year.

If you should come up with a cowl stamping we can narrow it down even further.