Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

To pan or not to pan?????

Do you run a valley pan with your 351M/400

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just running a quick poll to see what you guys do? Do you run a valley pan on your 335 or not? I always do, when I haven't it leaks like a sieve, but I know guys that say they don't have to...makes me wonder how much silicone they use though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^The valley pan goes under the intake and is the intake gasket. I don't know why, but with 351M/400's when you just use intake gaskets, most can't get a good seal and it leaks like no other. Also to note, the intake to block end gaskets like squirting out, so liberal amounts of silicone are still required on them. It's common for the rear especially to squirt out and make guys think they have a rear main leak.

I run a valley pan because it keeps the hot oil off the intake. Also I through away the little rubber gaskets that go on the front and back because it will always leak…use silicone gasket stuff. I vote for valley pan.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I usually rtv black over the gasket to have some form.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Get a 302 and avoid the problem :wasntme: smiliestirthepot

Fl.
I do not run a valley pan. I have a cast aluminum plate that takes the place of the valley pan. The only place my intake touches is at the intake ports. There is an air gap between the intake and the valley tray. Please don't use silicone on your intake gaskets. Silicone breaks off and gets pulled up into your pump screen.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Turkey pan here. Keeps hot oil off of the intake.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Have you ever heard of carburetor icing with no valley pan ? Just a thought.

I've heard of carb icing, but not because of no pan.

Silicone breaks off and gets pulled up into your pump screen.

What do you suggest using then? Copper gasket spray?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Get a CHI intake...problem solved which will allow more time for bacon :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Didn't someone here buy the last one?????????

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Ford Truck Articles