Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another bad pump

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well after having just a story book day I was driving home and my truck died on the frontage road, I crawl around the engine bay wires fuses lots of cussing until it dawned on me, I cant hear that Holley pump whining. so I get under her and start fudging with the pump and I found that the harder I pulled on the power wire the pump would turn on and run faster the harder I pulled..
Ok really I just bought this ****ing thing.. 108 bucks down the tubes, Needles to say i'm real pissed so i'm going to try and gut that pump and see if I can fix it, if its some thing fixable I'll post s ome pics .

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
inside the pump?? strange... double cheked all your wires?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well!! thars! yar problem!

PC120036.jpg

PC120043.jpg

What a *****..
I have a feeling I wont be fixing this, must be a bad seal some place that let gas get in to the motor.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's pretty pooched looking...isn't that smell wonderful?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nice and toasty. Wonder what would have happened if it was inside the tank like newer trucks ?

probably nothing....it's the vapors that ignite...there would be no oxygen to support combustion.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hey Duncan what about Wire gauge?
I installed a relay harness with this pump but the wire wasnt long enough I tried to match the wire gauge up but ever thing was to much or two small I picked the closet match I could...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey Duncan what about Wire gauge?
I installed a relay harness with this pump but the wire wasnt long enough I tried to match the wire gauge up but ever thing was to much or two small I picked the closet match I could...

That could be a problem....how many sizes up (gauge) did you go?...and what distance?..and how did you connect the extension wire?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well it about 6 feet of 18 then I had to go another 4ish feet, I didnt have any 18 but my 18 wire spool was to damn small so I went with 20 closet match I had at hand..
Oh and every thing was soldered..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well it about 6 feet of 18 then I had to go another 4ish feet, I didnt have any 18 but my 18 wire spool was to damn small so I went with 20 closet match I had at hand..
Oh and every thing was soldered..

20 gauge was for the power?.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Pretty sure that is your problem...low voltage condition at the motor...more heat...poof!...for the power, you should be running 12 gauge minimum.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
But the kits wire is 18 gauge.

That pump is most likely gonna draw 10 amps or better...18 gauge wire for any distance is insane..do you know what the pump load is (amps)?
Edit...I just went and looked at a Holley fuel pump...probably only draws 5A...so 18 would be ok..personally, I would use 16 mininmum...but going up to that 20 gauge could be the problem Tex.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles