Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Quick question (tailgate)

The bolts for the latch's on each side have three nuts that are in square holes, all but two have come out. Are these held in by a clip? Are there new ones available? I could just put some JBWeld on them to get them to hold long enough, but once tightened the JB will most likely break loose making it a pain to take off in the future. Circled three of them in pic below.

Thanks, Kyle.

4129142141_8a9e47ddf4.jpg

Those tangs are bent to hold the fastener in the hole.

Tailgatelatch.jpg

Those 3 nuts were not supposed to come out, they were meant to stay in. Just have to deal with it for now, anti-seize the bolts before putting it back together.

Sometimes to can pry them back in.
Just be careful doing it.

Ok thanks. They were loose when i took it apart, which made it a little difficult to get them out. Everything i put back together on this truck gets a coating of Locktight anti-seize.

I had one come out when I was working on my tailgate. Once I got the latches off - had to keep pressure on the bolts to keep the nuts in place - I put the bolt back in the nut and used a prybar to keep pressure on them again. I then took a small punch and hammered the metal back down around the nut to keep it in place. Seems to be holding up pretty good so far, just don't put to much pressure on them when you are bolting it all back together!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts