Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Motorcycle/ATV

Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 PM

sbluke55 will become famous soon enoughsbluke55 will become famous soon enough
You can try electrolysis for the pistons. https://youtu.be/rj694TS0V98

Or soak it in diesel for a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2019, 07:52 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
I use purple power for pistons. Does a great job, cleans up with plain water.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut97 View Post
Congratulations! I hear Walmart isn't a particularly easy outfit to work for. Glad you are getting some enjoyment out of it.
it really depends on your own attitude when you go in... if you have a bad attitude youll have a bad experience.. if your positive you can have a good experience... for the most part im enjoying it... unlike most companies they even provide benefits to their part time people.. the other thing that tends to make a positive or negative experience there can be the managers... ours is a good group of people... (if you get into the distribution centers they can get pretty strict there from what ive been told).. and compared to my last job im actually loving it...

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Polish.

A gentleman on another forum was using something called 316 Stainless Steel paint on his axles. Said it was super tough, might check it out for your fenders. Auto zone I think is where he found it. Looked good in the pictures.

I've already recommended blasting pistons, but whatever route you take, might consider polishing them before you put them back in. Used to do it on our dirt bikes. I dunno if it helped but we felt faster anyway.
do have a sand and soda blaster but dont have anything to put in them... but wouldnt want to use them on the pistons... (specially since stock sized ones are REAALY!!!!! hard to come by)..

as for the fenders i was thinking of lightly wire wheeling the under sides to remove the rust as theyre worse on the underside than the top sides were... (which i lightly hit the outer sides of the other pieces with no issues there.. some of them cleaned up perfectly.. others still show their age.. but im wanting it to show some age too in areas.. ) once the rust is cleaned up i was thinking of priming it to seal it away from rusting again.. then coating undersides with some bed liner to take the "abuse" of the tires flinging rocks and crap into them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
Or soak it in diesel for a little bit.
they were "soaked" in diesel (along with atf, acetone and pb blaster) for pretty close to a month trying to get them to break free from the cyl walls... which didnt break them away from that or clean up any...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 10-31-2019, 09:40 AM

Blue-Truck-Nut97 is a jewel in the roughBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a jewel in the roughBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a jewel in the roughBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a jewel in the rough
That " it depends on your attitude going in" statement is TRUE stuff.

As for your blaster, plaster sand at home depot works, but it can get pricey. In our blast cabinet we've been using glass beads from harbor freight, which I'm not fond of, but they work ok on delicate stuff. My favorite media for the cabinet comes from a local company that paints the highway stripes. It's the stuff they mix in the paint. Just thinking about future projects, I see you said you didn't want to blast pistons.

I like your bedliner fender idea, a lot of the street rod guys are doing that now. Works good.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
That " it depends on your attitude going in" statement is TRUE stuff.

As for your blaster, plaster sand at home depot works, but it can get pricey. In our blast cabinet we've been using glass beads from harbor freight, which I'm not fond of, but they work ok on delicate stuff. My favorite media for the cabinet comes from a local company that paints the highway stripes. It's the stuff they mix in the paint. Just thinking about future projects, I see you said you didn't want to blast pistons.

I like your bedliner fender idea, a lot of the street rod guys are doing that now. Works good.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
if i can get the stuff for the soda blaster i might try the pistons with it.. but want to see how it does on the casings first as theres spots that the crud looks like even the parts cleaner didnt seem to touch to clean up... ntm the casings are thicker and planning to paint them if i can get rid of the rest of the crud on them...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Got up at 2am on my day off. Decided to work on the engine a bit.

Discovered back when i pulled the trans forks that the they were gouged on the inside. Spent some time with a file smoothing down and polishing the shift shaft.

Other side. You can still see the factory cross hatches on either side of the gouge.

Never used my wheel cyl hone so figured id use it on the inside of the shift forks to smooth them out.

Its better and smoother. And got new cross hatches.

Then decided to clean up the covers. Little before shot here.

Ooo mirror finish on the cam retainers.

shiny covers...

When you get it so shiny you need sunglasses while you werk.

Then decided to clean up the valves. (this particular one is from the side that was "open" for 30 sum years... )

much better now...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
It's all cleaning up quite nicely!

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 11-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Virginia Chapter member

ty...engines gonna get some more cleaning done to it maybe tomorrow... spent my last day off assembling the blast cabinet so i can sand (soda) blast the outer part of the casing... but last couple days at work have run my arse into the ground and tired as heck... good thing i have tomorrow off... so might get more work done on the engine..

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Spent the morning measuring and lapping the valves and honed the valve guides a little. And then soda blasted the engine casings to get them ready for paint.

Little before and after comparison here.

All the casings after i finished soda blasting.

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Virginia Chapter member

wacky hours at work have really been hindering my time to work on the motorcycle... ntm also renovating my room a little too... now with the weather getting colder its going to effect my progress on other things with the bike too... but will see how well things progress... as of today i finished assembling the casings and masking off the engine for painting...

now i just need to get some longer bolts to mount the engine onto the engine stand... since its made more for like connecting to where the bell housing bolts to. the bolts i have arent long enough so need to get some longer ones to get where the engine normally bolts to a bike so i can paint it... will also have to make something to keep it pushed away from the engine stand and not move back on the bolts but that wont be hard to do... lol...

also got the rest of the piston rings out of the piston that was frozen in the engine.. had to chip away the build up over the 2nd ring before it broke free but the upper one came out in pieces... i just finally got the last piece of that ring out today... the other piston came apart easily... then cleaned them up... this is a before and after shot...

the left one still had the rings in it... i took them out after taking the pic and cleaned it up too.. I need to pick up a ring groove cleaner tool to go through them for when i get the new rings...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus