Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Smog Pump

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Of those things, the electric fan will give you the most noticeable gains. Eliminating smog equipment won't make as much of a difference as most people think. It's really not worth the extra harm that it causes to the environment (yeah I know it ain't much). If you wanna free some of the room in your engine compartment, that's about the best reason to remove smog equipment.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I noticed alot when i removed the cat of my truck. All the smog stuff is a bunch of garbage and looks bad.

Michigan
I agree with Chris (95F350XL) Glad all my stuff is gone, looks ALOT better now

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Looks a lot better but were there noticeable performance gains? (aside from placebo effects...)

I can't argue that it wouldn't be nice to clean out all that junk and have some extra room/less clutter... But I've always heard that if you're going it to get performance gains you're barking up the wrong tree.

The smog pump is the dumbest thing auto manufacturers ever got away with... all it does is dilute the exhuast gases... it does NOTHING to remove polution.

The smog pump is the dumbest thing auto manufacturers ever got away with... all it does is dilute the exhuast gases... it does NOTHING to remove polution.
If the cat is gone or gutted then yeah the air is doing nothing, but with a functioning cat the air is used to combust unburnt hydrocarbons.

Stock cats are very restrictive so upgrading to a high flow version or eliminating it completely will produce more power.

Smog pump itself produces no significant drag on the engine so removing it will make no difference in power.

The computer is programmed to add more timing when the EGR valve is open, so disabling EGR will actually hurt milage and reduce power.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey Paul-- when I had my exhaust redone, the mechanic was confused by the fact that my AIR pipe was nowhere to be found... Meaning that my smog pump doesn't seem to be doing anything... Is that correct?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Do you have the ones that inject into the back of your heads insted of into the exhaust pipe.

Paul my EGR has been disabled and I get the same mileage I did before, and it feels the same. The EGR isnt open under load or whatnot, its open usually when coasting or your foot off the pedal. If it was open when you were mashing the gas, you would have no power.

Michigan
Im not sure if the eliminator would do much. But same with chris, i still have the same amount of power and damn good mileage.. But i do have the plug from RJM

Michigan
My truck had both... Keep that in mind.

Ford had at least 3 different verions of the Thermactor system, some injected in the back of the heads, some into the back of the exhaust manifolds, some into the top of the manifolds with little pipes to each port. I have never seen a truck that didn't also have an air tube to the cat but who knows.. maybe there are even more variations. Is is possible it was removed before you got it?

I have also run my 5.8 with the EGR blocked but still hooked up, and fully functional, and didn't notice any difference in power or milage, that's with the MAF mustang computer though. My '89 was on the ragged edge of detonation all the time so it had fits if either the EGR or Thermactor systems were malfunctioning. It's very hard to make general statements on these trucks without running into somebody that seems to have evidence to the contrary.[confused]

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ford had at least 3 different verions of the Thermactor system, some injected in the back of the heads, some into the back of the exhaust manifolds, some into the top of the manifolds with little pipes to each port. I have never seen a truck that didn't also have an air tube to the cat but who knows.. maybe there are even more variations. Is is possible it was removed before you got it?
Anything is possible-- but the previous owner kept receipts for ALL the work done to this truck and gave me all those when I bought it. I've read through them countless times and I don't ever remember seeing any receipts for cats...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
My F350 didnt have lines to the cat. The cat had places for the lines but they had allen head bolts to seal it off. I know the orig owners so they didnt mess with that. All the lines I had were into the exhaust manifolds.

Michigan
My plug still threw a check engine light.. Keep that in mind.. No other codes

Last edited:
Michigan
Gotta add that yes even after i pluged the eliminator in, i still get a EGR code.

The later EGR systems with DPFE cannot be bypassed without throwing a code since the computer not only commands and measures valve movement, but also measures airflow through the valve.

Ford Truck Articles