Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How should I get myself the direction I want to go...

How should I turn my tires

• Piece together your own to save a few bucks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well boys and girls, the time has finally come to get Red's steering back up to snuff. I was about ready to pull the trigger and call Redhead to get all my power assist stuff rebuilt, but then a buddy of mine really urged me to convert to a 2wd p/s set up, so I humored him and started taking a look.

Let me start by saying Redhead is going to be $650 in rebuilding my power cylinder, bendix control valve and new hoses. I've always been of the opinion that the P/A system is just fine and catches a bad rap because most guys have 30+ year old equipment and for some reason expect it to be new...and the P/A systems were replaced by a better system. But all in all, I think new P/A systems function and operate just fine and actually have a couple advantages in steering geometry.

Anyway, I got looking in to the swap and came across the benchworks conversion:

http://benchworksteering.com/F250conversion.htm

I didn't want to have to bother with putting together my own swap pieces, and I wanted all new parts. After initial shock of the price of the kit, I hopped on JBG to see what all those parts total individually, it was right at $1000 +/-$50. Could I probably piece it together for cheaper by searching other vendors, yeah...but I probably wouldn't shave more than 150-200 off the individual pieces...and my time costs something. Anyway, for $100-300 extra, I figured the convenience of a complete kit that is made for eachother is probably worth it. And if I were to go this route, I'd have all new parts from the column to the drag link, something that can be said for Redhead idea...and this system should add a little more ease to steering, and it's all bolt on. If I were to go this route, I'm already thinking I'd beef up that frame re-enforcement/bracket though.

So what says you guys which direction would you go???

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm torn between #1 and #5. I rue not going with a redhead after purchasing a rebuilt. After a couple years of operation, the slop is returning.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Well see, there was another route I was considering...I can still get the corresponding box from Redhead and hoses. It actually looks like a 78/9 4wd box. I'm sure I could get the shafts from Borgeson. Hardware and pitman arm is easily attainable. Not really sure what I'd have to do as far as the drag link is concerned though. And I have an entire machine shop with damn near any material you can think of to make mounting/re-enforcement plate for the box.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
After reading this post, I looked at who voted. The first name I see is Austin.:wasntme:

I was going to say...it's a public Poll.....Ryan is going to pat himself down after
Austin does.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So all these Redhead votes are saying to stick with the power assist system and not the 78/9 power steering system???

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I say ditch the power assist and go with the power steering box like the 2wd...

Power assist is troublesome in the long run - even if you can get everything fixed and working, it will have the same problems again down the road...

Which option is that on the poll? the last one?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well I wouldn't call 25-30 years of service troublesome...but the benchworks system is the 78/9 set up...or I'd piece it together via new parts.

I was going to pull the trigger on the Benchworks system, but decided against it for a couple of reasons:

- My P/A system is in good shape, has next to no leakage from the hoses, and required only a steering shaft (Went with the Borgeson) and the ball and stud kit to tighten it right up.

- I also figured that since I'd like to do a frame up on this truck one day, I'd just wait until then to do a conversion, and modify the frame rather than using some bracket and cutting up a nice core support. I think I'll be okay for the next ten years.. I don't drive it much anyway.

Maybe your system isn't in as good a shape, though?

Derek.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Nah...my system is currently plugged for manual steer. I did the ball and stud, and limped my system along for a5-6 years, but it's time to go all new.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I guess if I were to drop the coin, I'd just get the power assist components rebuilt. RedHead is a reputable company and should give you a very nice rebuild system that will last for a long time. The power assist setup actually is a great system especially when turning larger tires. You are right on the bad rap because of faulty equipment and since power assist components are not readily available, than people want to ditch the system. I ditched mine, but only because I had the parts for little cost and had help welding up the frame. At the time, I was under the impression that Power Assist parts were very rare to get and expensive so I went with more readily available stuff. I guess for $400 extra for the benchworks system, I just don't think it would be superior to a rebuilt power assist setup you already have other than easier to find parts if you need to replace anything. Either way Ben I don't think you can go wrong with either system. I will let you know though, I don't have any issues with my 78/79 conversion.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah Buck...I like the P/A system just fine, and think it's a suitable system, although I do believe it's inferior in most cases to the 78/9 system. That being said, what/where did you source your parts from? Have any pics of how it looks in there???

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I was able to score my steering box and drag link from a local salvage yard, then I went with a new Borgeson steering shaft.

Honestly Ben, I would probably opt to go with the Benchworks system if you convert than doing what I did with the stock 78/79 F250 4x4 setup. In order for me to use the stock drag link I had to cut and weld the front crossmember so the steering box would sit back further in order for the drag link to bolt on. I also had to weld a mounting plate onto the frame. It wasn't too bad for me cuz at the time I never had the body or engine in the frame so everything was easy to work with. I like the benchworks concept because it is a bolt on deal. Here is some pics of my setup using the stock 78/79 F250 4x4 box and drag link.

Here I flattened out the top of the frame.
DSC00440-1.jpg

Where I cut the front crossmember and started to fit a mounting plate.
DSC00442-1.jpg

Crossmember hole filled back in and mounting welded.
DSC00449-1.jpg

Pic of the mounting plate backside with grade 8 nuts welded to it.
DSC00445-1.jpg

Final product without steering box
DSC00454-1.jpg

Steering box mounted.
DSC00448-1.jpg

DSC00447-1.jpg

DSC00446-1.jpg

Here are some pics of everything as it sits now.
2012-06-08_20-38-19_28.jpg

2012-06-08_20-38-25_752.jpg

2012-06-08_20-38-53_749.jpg

2012-06-08_20-39-08_221.jpg

2012-06-08_20-39-14_265.jpg

2012-06-08_20-39-21_906.jpg

2012-06-08_20-39-57_236.jpg

2012-06-08_20-40-05_418.jpg

2012-06-08_20-40-19_201.jpg

Pay no attention to the non-painted pitarm bolt which I keep forgetting to paint.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well after thinking this through, I've decided my affinity to keeping things stock with my flare...I'm gonna keep the PA system. Outside of some leaks at the end of 35 years of service, the system worked just fine. I think that's a testament to what these systems are capable of. Considering I tend to like things other people don't or say is crap, I'm going to see what can be done to improve the system. I figure 'power cylinder' is just a factory term for 'ram' and if you understand valving and springs, boosting the control valve performance shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure a cooler mock up will be needed and a different pump will need to be sourced. Pretty interested to see how this turns out. I'll put the call in to Redhead next week to see what direction they'd go or how they feel straying from the stock path.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Ben -

I remember the posts about your wreck with Red that took out the front end. Did the original system survive that? Just wondering.

Buck -

Nice work. And that truck is so clean underneath! Beautiful!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes...still the original system. I guess that could be another testament to ability of the Bendix system.

On edit...through my research, I see that there is no real differentiation between which system is being bashed. Garrison style and Bendix style is what was used in these trucks...and I believe the Garrison style is what was primarily used until 76ish and then 77.5 went full power. I have no experience with the Garrison style, so I wonder if that's really the system that causes the headaches.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts