Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Time to replace the box???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I hop in the Bronco this morning to do a little tooling around...and my steering is flat spotting all over the place. It was fine a month ago. Pump seems to be in good working order, nothing caught up in any linkages...what says FTF???

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Pump going bad. My 74 did that, if/when it gets worse you'll know it's the pump. Never seen a box go bad on one...

I would put a tee in the pressure line and check it... There is a chance that it's sticking valves in the box...

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Leave it alone... Dead steering is what makes these rigs exciting! :D

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I doubt that it's the steering box, but you never know. Since it was good a month ago, then I agree with checking/greasing the tie rod ends and then driving it (if safe enough) to see if it works itself out just to know that there isn't air or something that got in the lines. IF it doesnt come out, than a new pump may in order.

Ben i'd put the front end on blocks and try turning the wheel from side to side with the engine off and see if it still does it - check the universal joints in the steering column as well as the tie rod ends and swivel castors but if it only does it while sitting on the ground it is most likely the pump.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Rebuilt the front end about 6 months ago...hooked up to the zerks, grease is good...tried bleeding the system. Pulled the cap off the pump, turned the wheels from side to side and zero reaction in the fluid level. With no whining from the pump, I thought it was fine...but no fluid reaction tells me different, right???

Yep i'd say you've got a stuck valve in there Ben - try holding the wheel hard over to put the pump into overload/bypass and see if that helps.

Ford Truck Articles