Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wiring harnesses

electricguru

the rc fanatic
Is there a master list any where (in the Gen. 6 oem manuals, diagrams, and literature perhaps), that lists all the different wiring harnesses for a 1973 F100? I'm looking to replace some old wiring...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nothing that I have seen, there might be something in the parts book CD which you can get from HiPo parts..or you can wait until I get around to scanning my book, which might be a while.
I do think that I have all the electrical diagrams for a 73, I can check and see.

electricguru

the rc fanatic
Nothing that I have seen, there might be something in the parts book CD which you can get from HiPo parts..or you can wait until I get around to scanning my book, which might be a while.
I do think that I have all the electrical diagrams for a 73, I can check and see.

very cool... i may look into grabbing the cd soon. so what would you recommend, if i were looking to replace quite a few wiring harnesses? i have quite a few sections that have been spliced, but i'd rather return them back to stock...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If I was wanting to replace harnesses, I would be rebuilding the existing ones, possibly using new loom and wires. Finding replacement ones is not easy (trust me) and not cheap (again, trust me).

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Grant it Duncan is correct as far as trying to find a good used harness,ive have searched a great deal for one for my 79.luckily i did find one by putting out the word through friends in the salvage yard field and it took about a year for one to come about.I own a 79 f250 4x4.The harness i got came out of a 77 F150.Now there is a difference in the harnesses but it can be incorperated to work,so far i have installed the harness in the cab.I had to switch to the 77 ignition switch instead of the 79,the neutral saftey is column mounted,my truck it was on the trans.in my case I wired it to my B&M Truck shifter i installed (other wise i would of had to change to the 77 steering column).The rest of the dash components were a direct pluggin (lights, wipers,t/s switch,guage cluster with warning lights) I also used the blower switch from the 77 instead of the 79.under the hood the it uses the blue grommet igniton module.I went with the HEI which i had previously installed.(one wire hookup)i used the 77 horn relay to make that work.went with the 77 alternator wiring harness as well.the front headlights and turn signals are direct plugins.up to this point I fired up the truck so far everything is working as it should as far as the cab & instrument cluster & engine compartment goes.what i have left is to tie in the bed tail lights gas guages which shouldnt be to difficult but the harness plugs do not match so there will be some splicing done here.I took my time,had patience and made sure everything was installed the way it should be (use good common sense & do it right).it is not that difficult of a job to do IF you can locate a good harness that hasnt been hacked up.I guess i got lucky,but dont give up.they are out there.soon my electrical issues are going to be a thing of the past.Hopefully this info may be helpfull to others.

Last edited:
Basically this is all there is by Ford regarding harnesses.

There are specific sections that be seen though

WiringHarnessrouting.jpg

I have a harness from a 75 F250 for sale IYI

electricguru

the rc fanatic
Basically this is all there is by Ford regarding harnesses.

There are specific sections that be seen though

WiringHarnessrouting.jpg

Thanks Mil1ion, this definitely helps me track down what plugs into where, so I can plan things out...

electricguru

the rc fanatic
thanks.. great info from all, i'll keep this in mind as i try to track down my issues...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts