Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Post A Picture of your 1980-1986 F-Series Truck

hey here's my truck that's just taking up space now. it needs to warm up around here so i can put in the 351w i got for it.

02-03-08_1614.jpg

02-02-08_1121.jpg

01-12-08_1250.jpg

I can't wait to drive this thing.

boo skand, you dont fall in this gen! haha its cool though, your truck is really nice looking. your brothers truck looks pretty kickass too. i really like the powerstroke diesel front bumpers. i wanted to get that on my '95 F150 but they're hard to come by at the salvage yards.

daddue,

haha thanks so much! i thought so too! that's why i bought it even though the engine is blown. maybe i got in a little over my head but i think i can just take my time and swap the engines and eventually have a great truck! hopefully the c6 is as strong as everyone says it is and i won't have to worry about it for a while.

Fellro

Staff member
fellro,

that's great. it looks like quite the workhorse like you mentioned. from what i hear, that engine is really a strong strong beast. my dad just bought an '86 international dump with the 6.9L. after you fix the clutch, you should have a rock solid truck on your hands.
I really like your interior. are they original seats? my '86 is an XLT lariat and it still has the bench seat. It's hands down the most comfortable bench seat that i've sat in but i like the looks of your seats better.

Fellro

Staff member
If you take care of them, and let them breathe, they are good motors. Not fast, but will pull. Heaviest I have scaled hauling scrap is 24,500... I didn't realize I was that heavy until I saw the scale!
The seats are aftermarket, they came out of a Dodge I stripped, Seatco is the brand on them. They beat the factory bench by far, which would hav been fine if it weren't for the bottom bar going right across my back where I had a couple discs removed... without them, I would have a lot harder time tolerating the truck for much distance. I know the bench seat in the 88 I am running right now is total crap, probably will be putting a seat from another 86 in it...
My dad has an 84 that was bought new with the 6.9. With a bit of maintenance done that was needed, it is again shaping back up to be a good truck again. i have a long ways to go to get it back into shape, he let it go pretty bad. He has another 84 with a 6.9 that sat for over two years, the motor was stuck from lack of attention, I got it going, and it pulls right along with my 86 and my sisters 92 that I put the Cummins in. The 84 2wd is slow in that it is top speed limited, 4.10 gears and a 4 speed. My 86 is the same gears, tops out around 75 if I push it that hard, generally, I don't, since I melted a mudflap the one time I did that...oops!

fellro,

that's incredible that you pulled 24.5k lbs with your F250! hopefully the international that we have will perform as well. i wonder if your 6.9 in your f250 is any different than our 6.9 in the international. I know ford likes to put turbos on the IH's engines but i don't know what else they change about it. and of course the 6.9 never came from from with a turbo. i'm really interested in your 92 with the cummins. I have a '95 with the 4.9L that i would love to put the 5.9L cummins into. did it take much time/effort/expense? would you say that its worth it?

Fellro

Staff member
The Cummins wasn't that bad to do, but that comes from someone who is used to doing a lot of fabrication, as it was my job for 5 years. I made my mounts, and used the Dodge trans. The old VE pumps are about as simple as they get, and as reliable. The truck will pull nicely at highway speeds running double overdrives.It hasn't gotten too heavy for the motor yet.We have around $6000 wrapped up in that truck including purchase price of the truck and the parts truck for the motor.It came with a Gear Vendors overdrive as well, and we got the parts truck for $2800. The crew cab came complete with the 460 for $1800.The rest is a new radiator, and other misc. parts.
What I am told is the IH versions of the 6.9's are supposed to be better yet than the Fords. Main key is open the exhaust and intake up, and give it some fuel. A turbo would help, but at this time, I don't yet have one.

I will get pictures of mine up soon...it's a wee bit muddy though....im sure yall won't mind though....smiliegitrdone

Ok well let me try this again.......posted my pics in the wrong thread but i'll relocate them over here, even though I can't delete my post with the pics on it on the other thread.:headbang:

Attachments

• myrig.jpg
  • myrig1.jpg
  • myrig2.jpg
  • myrig3.jpg
  • myrig4.jpg
Fuel injected 302......These things sound amazing with 1 1/4 inch dual pipes with short-case glasspacks.....talk about LOUD and poppish..

Attachments

• myrig5.jpg
  • myrig6.jpg
86fordf150,

looks great! i like the green bed for some reason. why did you paint it green? the FI truck looks really awesome in ur avator

Fellro

Staff member
Iwould say the truck was originally green, and he primered it away from the green..

Thanks guys....I actually bought the truck with that paint scheme, it came from a junkyard so hard telling why they didn't cover it all but I guess it doesn't look all that terrible....I would like to convert it over to a flatbed or find a more solid bed to put on it, as the one that's on it now is really rough..but I might end up trading it off sometime soon...I saw a truck up at a dealership that was a 1979 Ford F-150 Custom...460/dual exhaust with glasspacks/automatic/110 thousand original miles...they were asking 1,900 for it but they would give me some on trade in(I didn't find out how much yet since the owner wasn't there to negotiate on trade in) and it sounds and runs smooth...cab is extremely solid and the bed is fair, with typical rust around the wheel wells...not bad though, the only thing I hate about it is it sits low and it's only 2 wheel drive.....BUT i've only dreamed about having a big block truck(and it's even a Ford so that's always a plus!!) that looks nice and runs smooth and this might be a good deal...I have to check in to it more but if the deal doesn't go through then i'll just probably keep my '86 and fix it up...it's had so much work done to it now that it'd be almost dumb to give it up for trade in value, even though I would be getting something that I would simply love to have, with the exception of not having 4wd and sitting low, but I think the 460 would compensate for whatever it does lack, as long as it stays reliablesmiliegitrdone

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Thanks guys....I actually bought the truck with that paint scheme, it came from a junkyard so hard telling why they didn't cover it all but I guess it doesn't look all that terrible....I would like to convert it over to a flatbed or find a more solid bed to put on it, as the one that's on it now is really rough..but I might end up trading it off sometime soon...I saw a truck up at a dealership that was a 1979 Ford F-150 Custom...460/dual exhaust with glasspacks/automatic/110 thousand original miles...they were asking 1,900 for it but they would give me some on trade in and it sounds and runs smooth...cab is extremely solid and the bed is fair, with typical rust around the wheel wells...not bad though, the only thing I hate about it is it sits low and it's only 2 wheel drive.....BUT i've only dreamed about having a big block truck(and it's even a Ford so that's always a plus!!) that looks nice and runs smooth and this might be a good deal...I have to check in to it more but if the deal doesn't go through then i'll just probably keep my '86 and fix it up...it's had so much work done to it now that it'd be almost dumb to give it up for trade in value, even though I would be getting something that I would simply love to have, with the exception of not having 4wd and sitting low, but I think the 460 would compensate for whatever it does lack, as long as it stays reliablesmiliegitrdone
I'd fix up the 4x4, but thats just me :D And maybe while you're at it you could tune up that engine a bit to squeeze out a few more horsies, to satisfy your big block craving. Just my .02 :D

I'd fix up the 4x4, but thats just me :D And maybe while you're at it you could tune up that engine a bit to squeeze out a few more horsies, to satisfy your big block craving. Just my .02 :D

I just might do that, since the truck is paid off(im working minimum wage/part time hours so if I get a different truck i'd be stuck with payments again) and since i've already had a lot of work done with it....a good friend of mine offered to put an exhaust on it like he has on his '86 f-150/302/4 speed/4wd with glasspacks and small piping....it's oftenly mistaken for having a 351 in it, me and him always giggle at that.smilieFordlogo It sounds really good though, and I fell in love with the 4wd and how much of a difference it makes on snow...and mud even!! I can always find another old Ford with a bigger v8 when I have a better job to support a toy as such....but I still WOULD love to have a 460 though...

Yeah, I really am gonna keep my '86...it's proven itself worthy many times over and over again, and today was a fine example....it was fulfilling it's 1/2 ton duties......one pic I took at night just for the hell of it but the rest were taken earlier this morning when I was haulin wood off to the city dump.... Tomorrow morning im having a local exhaust shop put on a pair of Thrush Glasspack Mufflers running dual 2 and a quarter inch pipes that will run off the manifolds and will exit before the rear tires....so pretty much like having side pipes...it'll probably sound pretty mean....I also got a new outland tail gate net for it yesterday as you can see in the pics....I found a passenger side fender, a nice solid bed and a windshield that I can have all together for 150 bucks....this truck is really coming together...im also tinting the windows this weekend since it's supposed to be nice as long as my buddy can help me with it and as long as I don't get too busy with something else...going to make the rear window pretty dark but the side windows and wings are getting as dark as I can without going over the legal limit....smiliegitrdone

Attachments

• wood.jpg
  • wood1.jpg
  • wood2.jpg
  • wood3.jpg
  • wood5.jpg

Ford Truck Articles