Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

84' F-250 460 Header And Starter Install

I am having a problem with installing my Left header and stock starter. I have installed both of them twice about 5 years ago but for the life of me I cant remember how I did it. Boy if I had the money I would have bought a mini stater of would have kept the stock exhaust manifolds after installing my rebuilt 460 dummy me. But anyway would anyone have any advice?

1984 F-250HD XLT 4X4 manual trans. 460 no cat. Hedman Headers.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What particular problems are you having? Getting wrenches on bolts, wriggling the header in/out, etc.? All I can say as of now, PB Blaster, extensions, a wobble joint and standard length sockets are your friend.

What particular problems are you having? Getting wrenches on bolts, wriggling the header in/out, etc.? All I can say as of now, PB Blaster, extensions, a wobble joint and standard length sockets are your friend.

Well I can install the stater without the header but I have no room to install the header, and I can install the header without the stater but again I have no room to install the starter. So my problem is trying to install both at the same time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It'll definitely be a tight fit, but with your header on, you should be able to get your starter on. I usually use a 6" extension to a wobble joint and the appropriate socket. Start with the most accessible bolts first, so there's some support instead of fighting with it in one hand.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ain't that how it always goes? Glad you got it fixed. So what was the final process that got it all on?

well yesterday I was contemplating weather to tow it to my garage from the street or not. and thought my brother might have a better chance at getting it. well he was under the truck for awhile and the separate exhaust tub fell down and hit him on the nose nick it pretty good tried not to laugh but if you new my brother you would have laugh two. anyway I decided to give it another shot. I just put the headers back in placed push the stater forcibly it went in so I quickly got the bolts started got the separate tub pushed into the bottom of the header went up to to see if the headers where lined up and they were. not sure if I could do it again but hopefully I wont need to.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts