Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Air In The Brakes.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
1989 F-250 4WD. The brakes got real spongy coming out of the mountains, and the front brakes started smoking(because they were handling all the load)

I tried to bleed the air out of the brakes, since the brake shoes, drums, and wheel cylinders were just replaced last year. After pushing almost a gallon of brake fluid through the rear brakes with no luck, I took the truck to the local repair shop. The problem turned out to be the master cylinder, which was replaced. There was no air in the front brakes. I guess the master cylinder was generating air.

The mechanic said there was enough air in the lines to fill a small air compressor. :D The brakes are MUCH better now. He also replaced a rear axle seal, which was leaking.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's odd...glad you got it fixed though.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Check the RABS right behind the preportion valve next time. Most people miss the bleeder there, and without bleeding there first, the rear brakes won't bleed

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That's odd...glad you got it fixed though.

Yes, it is.

Check the RABS right behind the preportion valve next time. Most people miss the bleeder there, and without bleeding there first, the rear brakes won't bleed

Thank you, Charlie. I was reading about the RABS system after I got the truck back home.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yes, it is.

Thank you, Charlie. I was reading about the RABS system after I got the truck back home.

Let me know if you need a picture, so you can find it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts