Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351m

tcbofade

Charter Member
(O'Rattlecan needs to flip that W upside down...:cooldude: )

Much to my surprise, a rebuild kit for my 351M is well, rather inexpensive. Now I'm seriously debating it. Maybe buy the kit for a 400 and a crankshaft as well...still would be under $500.

I may have found this summers project!!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
wow, not even fair. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Try for a little more compression, the 400's even were lacking in that department... A valve upgrade would be good too, since they like to go and meet the pistons sometimes...

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
last summer i was building my 351 for my bronco. the basic rebuild kit was pretty cheap. my money went to the machine shop and new guides for a head. comp cams hooked me up will a custom grind where i could retain all stock parts and convertor. they sent timing components, lifters, and the cam for under 300 bucks. now if you want some more squeeze, tim myer has some aussie heads lol.

tcbofade

Charter Member
I might be getting more serious here guys. A kit for a 400, a crankshaft for it, the headers, the exhaust system, and rebuilding both heads...under $1,400.00. I can buy an engine hoist AND stand for less than $200.

Sounds to me like I might spent 2 grand on one heck of a summer project...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I might be getting more serious here guys. A kit for a 400, a crankshaft for it, the headers, the exhaust system, and rebuilding both heads...under $1,400.00. I can buy an engine hoist AND stand for less than $200.

Sounds to me like I might spent 2 grand on one heck of a summer project...
After that project, you'll have to play with me at KCIR too!! It's a ball there!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Besides, you'll be too busy stuffing cookies down that you'll miss the light. :rofl:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I transplanted a 400/ c-6 combo out of a 79 Lincoln continental into my isuzu toy toter. I left the motor stock. It ran good so I never opened it up. The hauler weighs 10,300 lbs. empty and hits about 15,500 lbs when I go to the mudhole. With the 4.10 rear gears, I don't have any problems moving along. Plenty of grunt. Just doesn't like passing gas stations. http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent Vehicles/crmotorsports2007_0113002.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/i_call_me_Tony/Current Vehicles/2006_0225Image0003.jpg

Tony that looks like an AWESOME unit there!
Let me know if you find any more laying around, OK?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Before you use any 351M/400 heads, magnaflux them. The late 1970's thru 1982's were prone to cracking, and many have been welded up.

tcbofade

Charter Member
Um...a funny thing happened on my way to that project.

The truck is still running...I've got no $$$...so I haven't done much. :(

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts