Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1966 F250 4x4 Camper Special Custom Cab

Hi all, brand new to the forums. I am supposed to go see a 66 F250 4x4 Camper Special Custom Cab tomorrow morning. I know nothing about them and not sure what the deal is with them. The truck is supposed to be from California and the guy selling it bought it to restore a couple years ago but just never got to it. Its supposed to have no rust or rot other than the frame basically so he says its an easy restoration. Its a 352 with a 4 speed that he has never started so it hasn't run in a few years. Needs fuel system flush and fresh gas at the very least. I'm buying this possibly to use as a driver for now, other project going on. I will be selling my 01 F250 after I get this thing running reliably. I currently use my truck very little at all, maybe 1-2000 miles a year mainly to pull my sons HS marching band tandem equipment trailer to games and competitions. This would be the new job for the 66. Any info on these and the reliability factor of the 352? I'm thinking this should not be a problem for this truck. I love the look of it.
Thank you,
Bill

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
My limited experience with the 352 was that it was a good engine.. One of my high school friends dad stuck one in a 1956 Ford. He was pleased with it.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hi all, brand new to the forums. I am supposed to go see a 66 F250 4x4 Camper Special Custom Cab tomorrow morning. I know nothing about them and not sure what the deal is with them.

The truck is supposed to be from California and the guy selling it bought it to restore a couple years ago but just never got to it.

Its supposed to have no rust or rot other than the frame basically, so he says its an easy restoration (that's what some sellers claim, the reality is usually different).

Its a 352 with a 4 speed that he has never started, so it hasn't run in a few years. Needs fuel system flush and fresh gas at the very least. I'm buying this possibly to use as a driver for now, other project going on.
If it was assembled in CA, the 5th digit of the VIN: R = San Jose CA Assembly Plant.

If it was sold new in CA, the DSO stamped on the 3rd line-far right of the Warranty Plate (riveted to the left door face below the latch) will be:

71 = Los Angeles (SoCal) Ford District Sales Office / 72 = San Jose (NorCal) Ford District Sales Office.

Last edited:
I went and saw it and it does not have any rot at all!!! I'm just concerned as he has had it two years and hasn't started or driven it. It would be replacing my 01 F250. The motor turns and I'm sure some fresh fuel,wires,plugs,points and distributor will fire it up. Just a little weary as I know nothing about these motors.

If I had to temporarily pull this motor out and put something else in to run the truck any idea what I would have to replace it with as far as mounting up to the bell housing as well as motor mounts? Can I put a small block in it or does it have to be one of these FE big blocks?
Thank you.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If I had to temporarily pull this motor out and put something else in to run the truck any idea what I would have to replace it with as far as mounting up to the bell housing as well as motor mounts? Can I put a small block in it or does it have to be one of these FE big blocks?
1965/76 390 or 1968/76 360 will bolt right in without any mods, as will 1966/67 Mercury Parklane 410; 1965/68 427 (very hard to find and expensive); 1966/70 Ford/Merc 428.

Swapping in any other engine family will require different engine supports, rubber insulators, bell housing, transfer case, transmission.

btw: No such thing as an F250 4WD Camper Special until 1977.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I appreciate all the info but are you 100% sure about the camper special info as far as the date?
Absolutely and if you look thru sales brochures, you won't find an F250 4WD Camper Special until 1977.

Someone on t'other site just posted the 1977 brochure.

1965: F100/250 Camper Specials introduced, F350 Camper Special introduced in 1967, but this was the last year for the F100 Camper Special.

btw: Are you sure this is an F250? F250's have 8 lug wheels on a 6.50" bolt circle. F100's have 5 lug wheels on a 5.50" bolt circle.

1966 F100 Camper Specials were available as 2WD & 4WD

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Last edited:
If I buy it I'll post the VIN but looking at the 77 brochure I see some things this truck has. I saw a picture of it in California with the camper on it and I remember the engine with the oil cooler and it has those larger mirrors.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If I buy it I'll post the VIN but looking at the 77 brochure I see some things this truck has.

I saw a picture of it in California with the camper on it and I remember the engine with the oil cooler and it has those larger mirrors.
1973/79 is completely different than 1966.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles