Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

too tall rear gear

my truck can barely hit 50 mph before it sounds like it's winding the seeds out of the 223.
I'm guessing it's a factory 411.
Does anyone have any suggestions on different ratio? it is NOT a hauler........
its a couple times a month driver and I'd like to do at least 60 without it sounding like it's going to blow.
thanks!

Gears.

Anything in the 3-3.5 to 1 ratio should be an improvement. Additional tweaks can be done with tire sizes. If you plan to keep the truck for more than a little while you might want to consider a modern upgrade to an overdrive. Although there really isn't a cheap way to approach this... drivability will be greatly improved. Otherwise they are great grocery getters and will probably be more fun as a cruiser around town.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
my truck can barely hit 50 mph before it sounds like it's winding the seeds out of the 223. I'm guessing it's a factory 4.11. [confused]

Does anyone have any suggestions on different ratio? it is NOT a hauler. It's a couple times a month driver and I'd like to do at least 60 without it sounding like it's going to blow.
AXLE code stamped on the 2nd line-far right of the Warranty Plate, riveted to the left door face below the latch.

Post what the code is.

Common ratios with Ford 9" rear axle w/3 speed M/T: 3.70-1 & 3.89-1

Ford Truck Articles