Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > V6/I6 Ford Gasoline Engines

Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Looking good!

Ryan
Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Ranger Lariat

Fordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Ryan!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Ranger Lariat

Fordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond reputeFordzilla80 has a reputation beyond repute
Well it turns out that my 300 has had some work done to it in the past. I took a closer look at the rod bearings as well as the main bearing caps, and they were both .010 oversize. The rod bearings were Clevites while the Main bearings were Federal Mogul. I didn't even bother trying to get the cam bearings out, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a third manufacturer. The pistons are IND Bras, so it looks like they're not original, and there is a possiblity that the 300 has sleeves in it, although I can't quite confirm that for sure.

So now I really have no idea how many miles are on the F150. Not that it matters since the truck will be completely new underneath when I'm done with her.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Stone Cold Bo Norris

Workin' Rig is a jewel in the roughWorkin' Rig is a jewel in the roughWorkin' Rig is a jewel in the rough
The 300 is a great engine, but its your truck. There not as fast as a 302/351 but pull better then a 302 does...and not to metion take alot more abuse.
1978 F350 Dually -FOR SALE 1500 obo
400/T18/4.30's....not completly stock.
2008 Colorado 2wd
2.9/5sp/3.73's...the Daily driver.

"I am a FIRM believer that a properly tuned factory carb will perform just as well as EFI in 99% of all operating conditions".
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY

BuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond repute
Well Shaun..you know what you have in the 300. it is easy for us to say build the 400 or what ever motor you want,ultimately its up to you.your doing a fine job so far.think about it compare the numbers do some homework on costs and runinng costs of a performance engine of your choice.stay within your means,you dont want something you wont be able to afford to drive once it is done.If it was me i would build the 400 and make one hell of a sleeper out of the truck retaining its current look.Ide rather have more & not need it,than to have less and wish it had more.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Ranger Lariat

Thanks BuzzGun!

I never concluded this thread, so here we go. The 300 was previously bored .030 over. Shoddy rebuild as the rod and main bores were out of round, which ended up eating the bearings. Not to mention all the rust buildup on the outer cylinder walls. I gave the 300 to a friend who eventually scrapped it.

I now have a 400, BB C6, New Process 208F all going into the truck. So I'm pretty much past the point of no return now.

The 300 right before it went to the scrapper:

My 400:

C6 4x4:

And the truck as it sits yesterday.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
I'll bet you will be enjoying that 400!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Ranger Lariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
I'll bet you will be enjoying that 400!
You better believe I will.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Are you going to go with the Aussie 2 barrel heads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Ranger Lariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Are you going to go with the Aussie 2 barrel heads?
Not on this 400. This build is focused solely on getting the truck going again. I miss driving it.

I can't say the same for my next 400. That will be getting a set of TMI pistons (If he's still kicking by then), and some other torque goodies.