Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

After disconnecting battery...

2014 STX with 3.7L 4WD/ 3.73LS rear, with tow/haul package and manual "sport" shift. Disconnected battery this past weekend while doing a little PM, and noticed a change. Before, even in D, the indicator on the dash showed what gear I was in at all times, but now, when in D, there is no indication of what gear I'm in. If I am in M (manual), the indicator shows the gears, but goes out when back to D. This is certainly different than before. All else seems normal and it runs and shifts fine as always....just this little detail. Any ideas are appreciated.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think if, when in D, you push the -, or perhaps +, button on the end of the gearshift, you can turn on/off that indication.

(Far more usefully, you can also lock it out of a couple of the higher gears, without putting it into manual mode and having to shift it yourself.)

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I think if, when in D, you push the -, or perhaps +, button on the end of the gearshift, you can turn on/off that indication.

(Far more usefully, you can also lock it out of a couple of the higher gears, without putting it into manual mode and having to shift it yourself.)

Something along these lines would also be my expectation. Thanks to the incorporation of the CAN BUS 10+ years ago, automakers are able to saturate vehicles today with all sorts of user customizeable settings and features. If it were me and knowing how meaty owners manuals are (and have been for a long time), I'd either call or stop by the dealer and talk (hope for a faster answer).

All good ideas, thanks ! Will give these a shot...just did not have it in me yesterday to dig any deeper. Bad day at work, stubborn machine..busted my head on said machine(all good now) and when I just get home and try to cut some grass...front wheel literally falls off the mower...I called it a day after that :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I put a lot of miles on a similar truck over a few days last summer, and I push too many buttons for my own good.

Glad I could help.

Ford Truck Articles