Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

09 lincoln mkz lost power and boiled the battery

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Morning!

I'm stranded in Bloomington IL.

Lincoln 2009 MKZ all systems normal. 3.5L 56,000 miles.

Road trip east - shut car off at a motel and it wouldn't even try to re-start. Starter relay just clicking. Battery hot and steaming, some melting of ground post at cable clamp.

Replaced battery with new one. Started once, but by the time I had tools put away - less than 10 minutes - lights were dimming and the starter relay is just clicking again.

Disconnected the pos cable and went to bed.

Online diagnosing so far is pointing to Smart Junction Box. Will contact the local Ford dealer when they open.

Any ideas or pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Morning!

I'm stranded in Bloomington IL.

Lincoln 2009 MKZ all systems normal. 3.5L 56,000 miles.

Road trip east - shut car off at a motel and it wouldn't even try to re-start. Starter relay just clicking. Battery hot and steaming, some melting of ground post at cable clamp.

Replaced battery with new one. Started once, but by the time I had tools put away - less than 10 minutes - lights were dimming and the starter relay is just clicking again.

Disconnected the pos cable and went to bed.

Online diagnosing so far is pointing to Smart Junction Box. Will contact the local Ford dealer when they open.

Any ideas or pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
At first thoughts, the alt is overcharging and frying the battery. If you can get it here (161 exit on I44 in Missouri) I'll be glad to check it for you! You might check all your grounds (engine grounds)

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The bad news....

They put it back together, charged the new (discharged) battery, started it and ran it for quite a spell and .... nothing!

Alternator and all other diagnostics check out normal.

That makes me nervous about picking it up and heading home

blacksnapon

Staff member
The bad news....

They put it back together, charged the new (discharged) battery, started it and ran it for quite a spell and .... nothing!

Alternator and all other diagnostics check out normal.

That makes me nervous about picking it up and heading home
I'm just a short shot away!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks Vince - I'm in Spearfish SD tonight and well on my way home.

It starts, but sometimes is kinda funky when trying.... almost like something in the ignition switch. It clicks sort-of, and behind the clicks I can hear the starter engaging and the engine starts. Weird for sure.

Other times it starts perfectly.

Ford Truck Articles