Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1977 F100 351m Starting problems sounds like its no firing...was just tuned

I have a 1977 ford with a 351m. I just put a new fuel pump, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, button, and coil. I turns over but doesn't fire, its getting fuel. It starts when its cold with out a problem but as soon as its warm it will not start. Then the last time i was trying to start it it back fired very loud. I don't know was wrong with it, this started last sunday. Thanks in adance

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Warm as in warm engine?..if so, it could be the duraspark module.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You checked the condition of the timing chain??? No start and back fire would lead me there first...stretched chain or jumped a tooth or 12.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Sounds like your timing is advanced to much. Could be the chain or the distributer might have turned a little over time. Loosen up the distributer and turn it back when it won't start.

Sounds like your timing is advanced to much. Could be the chain or the distributer might have turned a little over time. Loosen up the distributer and turn it back when it won't start.

I would do this first. I too would want to say your timing is too advanced if it wnt start when the engines warm. It could very well be the module as well, but I'd check this first.

If you just changed the plugs and wires, I would recheck the firing order to make sure nothing got crossed. Unless you had the same problem before the tune up.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts