Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

sluggish

I recently completed my truck motor wise I have been driving it on flat ground I hit msmilieFordlogo y first hill today and the truck barely made it up what could this be? I also need a new alternator if that.makes a difference 351 m with a 4 barrel intake.and.a.Holley 600 carbsmilieFordlogo

If it was a steep hill I might think the floats in the carb are out of adjustment and it is either flooding or starving due to the angle. Other possibilities: timing,vacuume advance, vacuume leak, carb adjustment, etc. On flat ground how is the take off from sitting still. Does it bog down or hesitate at all? If not then I would think floats. If it does, then I would check the rest of the list. If the alternator is bad it probably doesn't have the correct voltage to properly fire the dura spark ignition or coil. As you can see there are a lot of things that can cause this with the limited info you gave and I may have missed another item or 2. I'm sure someone else will chime in but if you can give a few more details it can help narrow it down.

I was also thinking it was the carb it has yet to be adjusted but on flat ground the truck is fine it was just the hill it almost didnt make up... Im also pretty sure the alternator not charging the battery isnt helping either!! how would i adjust he floats on the carb?!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First you have to have adjustable floats. What's the carb PN??? Second, I tend to believe there are other symptoms if the floats are far enough out of adjustment to run fine in one scenario and not in another. Are the plugs burning lean, do you smell any excess fuel? Third, have you checked where your timing is actually at? Again, I believe there would be more symptoms if you're far enough out of time to run fine in one situation and not another. Fourth, get the alt checked...most part stores do it for free. If you're running on straight battery, more symptoms will arise. Finally, my initial thought was, what kinda gearing do you have, what size tires, how big was the hill, what speed???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It bogged down and barely made it up the hill i was doing ten at the base and by the top no longer then 100 feet you could crawl faster then the truck

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts