Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hey Dman...your C6

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know you say you're C6 will be bomb proof, I was just curious what actions you'll be taking to keep it cool? I'm just trying to get some ideas for trans coolers and pans.

I have no idea what I'm gonna do as far as a cooler, but I figure I'll go with this pan:

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_9592.php

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I know you say you're C6 will be bomb proof, I was just curious what actions you'll be taking to keep it cool? I'm just trying to get some ideas for trans coolers and pans.

I have no idea what I'm gonna do as far as a cooler, but I figure I'll go with this pan:

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_9592.php

His C6 will be the only thing left in Canada during a nuclear war.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
His C6 will be the only thing left in Canada during a nuclear war.

So, if I bring a truck and a geiger counter, I can have it? "Anything to declare? Just an irradiated C6. OK, go ahead."

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, if I bring a truck and a geiger counter, I can have it? "Anything to declare? Just an irradiated C6. OK, go ahead."

Hahaha....not if I get there first....I'm closer.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^No, I think you're closer....:)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
After a long talk with the builder we are going to try the stock cooler and I will be running synthetic transmission fluid. A gauge will of course be installed from day 1 to monitor the temperature. If it runs too hot, I will go to an aftermarket radiator type cooler up front.

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
Ben, check out the pans from Derale, I think you'll like them. I've used them for years on various transmissions. As for an external cooler, I modified one from a newer Super Duty. Cheap and effective.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
After a long talk with the builder we are going to try the stock cooler and I will be running synthetic transmission fluid. A gauge will of course be installed from day 1 to monitor the temperature. If it runs too hot, I will go to an aftermarket radiator type cooler up front.

So no deep pan for you?????

Ben, check out the pans from Derale, I think you'll like them. I've used them for years on various transmissions. As for an external cooler, I modified one from a newer Super Duty. Cheap and effective.

Thanks bud...the reason I specifically posted the pan I did is because I'm having a helluva time finding pans that don't require some sorta cross member massaging (on the Bronco's anyway)...and that one doesn't. But Derale you say, huh? I'll give them a look.

As for coolers, am I safe to presume that the more surface area and flow rate the better?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The stock deep sump pan is adequate for most any use of a C6.

While I agree in most cases, I don't want get stuck in anymore sand with minimal forward movement or have to worry about trans temp when back playing in the woods 25 miles from anything. If it's happened once, it'll happen again...and that would suck after dropping a grand or so on a fresh rebuild.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I put a stacked plate cooler on my C6 when I had it rebuilt... keeps it plenty cool.

I had to go to shorter tires too... the rebuilder said the 31" tires with 3.07:1 gears had alot to do with it dying... went to 245/75/16 (29") an it helps... lost my 14mpg though...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No deep pan Ben, if you recall, I had a drain put in the stocker.

79_Truck_01011.JPG

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
As for coolers, am I safe to presume that the more surface area and flow rate the better?

Actually, you want to hold the fluid in the cooler for a certain amount of time, so think of it as you would your engine cooling system. Larger surface area, yes, but too high of a flow rate will not cool the fluid as effectively as letting it "dwell" in their a little longer. The SD diesels' tranny's generate a lot of heat, especially on tuned engines. I know, I fried 2 in about 2 yrs in my '02 when I had it. But the tranny cooler from these is very adequate for your application.

save your $ the deep sump pan not needed but put the biggest cooler you can find with a temp gauge my c6s run about 160 with 460/camper/boat combo i by pass the factory rad cooler it just adds head you dont need but i do run a cover during very cold whether

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts