Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What shocks to get?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Guys, im looking at a couple different sets of shocks for my 05. Cc lb 6.0

Truck is basically used exclusively for towing my boat, which is pretty light as far as tongue weight so im thinking theres not much effect there.

I have in my mind decided to get either the bilstein 5100 or rancho 7000.
Id like to hear your thoughts on these shocks if you have experience with them.

Hit a massive pot hole at 75mph and smoked this shoshockAswell as messed up the alignment. So frustrating.

Attachments

• 0428171009.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've never heard a bad word about Bilsteins, except maybe price.

Rancho...I don't know I can say that.

I'm running the yellow Bilsteins (4600 series?) in my Ranger- no complaints, but I'm not as over the moon about 'em as a lot of people seem to be. Yeah, they're better than the worn-out factory shocks...that's why I replaced 'em. Maybe they're even better than the factory ones were to begin with, I dunno. But it's the same truck, and if feels about the same...just stays planted a little better on washboarded dirt than it did before I changed 'em.

I can't say enough about the KYB Gas-a-just socks I put on my truck. Made a big difference with driveabilty and road feel. They also make a heavier duty Mono-max shock. I've heard good things about the mono -max but have not used them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I had Ranchos on on of my GMCs... the ones with the little knob to adjust the firmness. Dialed all the way up it was a noticeable improvement in towing stability. Never had bilsteins because of the price... damn things are spendy as hell. They'd have to be pretty amazing to justify it

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Had Blisteins they were ok shock really couldn't tell any difference really from the factory ones.
Never used Rancheros. Used a bunch if skyjacker shocks there were ok.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Well the interesting thing...the bilsteins are cheaper than the ranchos. I have no experience with them but people rave about both. Im not sure if they are simply justifying their purchase or actually believe it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I had Ranchos put on my old truck after some bilsteins (that no longer fit) were taken off. I put leveling springs up front, and needed a longer shock.

It could be the newer, stiffer springs, but the ride quality went down.

Ryan

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i have the 4600 series bilsteins on my SD.. love em.. way better compared to the original ones that were on my truck.. course its hard not to beat a full set of dead shocks lol..

Ford Truck Articles