Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'08 F250 PS SD hub issue?

symptoms, in gear, engine running, standing still or right turns, i feel an intermittant steering wheel input. wants to pull to the right. not overpoweringly so. cycles on and off. fine for some secs. then i feel it engauge and pull to the right, then let go, and repeat. but if i'm moving and turn left, the influence changes to a slightly left pull.
it does need an alignment and i found a coulple of tie rod ends that need addressing. les scwab is dealing w/ the rods and alignment.

pulled codes, nothing. the ford tech near me says it's likely a hub servicing issue. they also recomended this site.
so varrious Q's.
i can't get this off the ground w/my 3 ton lift stuff. *if* it's deemed a hub issue, can i disable the all wheel drive so the hub, if anything is left of it (no grinding/clicking), won't be in play for towing a 6x12 trailer form seattle to cali?
this has so many options, so there's the vin.
vin 1FTSW21R48EA04104

ty all. i have ten days to solve this. moving. after ten days, i've no place to live but in cali. i'm concerened with a hub inspection, finding i need a new hub, and not making the move in time.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think if you get the tie rod ends fixed, and the alignment done, you'll be okay.

that would be nice. and i am holding my breath till they get done.

but, respectfully, bad rod ends shouldn't be in play while stopped in gear. not moving.
cross fingers.

But neither should the hubs I think...

In my mind the steering box itself is thhe only thing that could do that...

initialy, i tended to agree w/you on the hubs. but ignorant on this particular platform, AWD in 2WD, computer controlled, i accepted the ferd techs input at face value as the hubs being a *possibility*.

no ps leaks, anywhere, fluid level fine, and using the stethoscope, no abnormal pump noise. but we both know that's not definitive.
les schwab found the tie rods good. hmmmm. i didn't think so. but i couldn't unload the suspension w/just 3ton jacks & stands. they did find both lt ball joints bad as well as the lower rt one.
still doesn't address the symptoms while stopped. i'll get it back tomorrow.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
The 08 has auto hubs? Can you put in auto or lock spot?

i hate treads left/abandoned to archive w/o solutions. but i have no solutions to this issue.
got the truck back 2day from les schwab. all steering issues not related to alignment are gone.
my problem is i know the intermittant steering input issues had nothing to do with the ball joints. since the issue was present at a stop, in gear.
but i've never worked on this weight class, and have no tech info on how to replace the joints on this platform.

so my thought's are that some steering gear was moved to facilitate the ball joint replacement. as a result, it may have simply been a power steering service that might have included a bleed job that addressed the issue indirectly.

either way, i'm now confident in going to cali w/this. just have no real idea what the issue was. just assumptions.

ty for all the help ppl. i truely like the moderation on this site.

"I'll be back" (if needed)

ty again.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Have you ever seen how a grader's wheels tilt over at times? That changes the steering geometry so it can turn easier. Now imagine that happening to your truck, only you cant control when it does it. In the transition from "straight up" to "canted", there will be a moment when the steering gets very loose feeling. With worn ball joints, it happens when turning the wheel, whether it be stationary or moving.

i'm aware of all that. i am a seasoned mechanic. just no formal training. i own and built a 76 pu 454/400/456/ dart, ferd 9"+strange, four link, very quick red light special. current project it a 56 willeys pu 4x4 rat rod. built a streetable alky.

i'm not even remotely trying to say i now everything about a 250 class diesel. and i know even less about it's management.

respectfully, i don't think any of that comes into play at a stand still w/o steering in put by the driver and wheels/steering relaxed, pointing striaght ahead. only when moving. if the ball joint had enough play to "settle" so to speak, at a stop, likely i would hear or feel a clunk. at least once during the many times the issue showed up at a stop. and, if it effected steering in the way i discribed (w/o turning the wheel), it wouldn't persist after settling at a stop.

i think my inability to clearly state the issues in type is also a hurdle here. sorry.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts