Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 1978 F100

hello everyone,I joined here a while back but haven't been on much.
I thought I would share a few pictures of my truck and talk a little about my build.
100_0913.jpg

pictures

I bought this truck after a long search for a 4x4,i had all intentions of making a 4x4 out of this one,but when I got it home I just couldn't do it.it only had 71000 kms on it and was very tight and clean,the box was repainted at one time,the rest of the paint was original,so I decided to build a nice little street truck from it.
it had all the explorer badges on it when I got it,I removed them all and put them away in a safe place,the look I'm going for at the moment doesn't include them.
100_0917.jpg

engine

I drove the truck all through the summer of 2008,only replacing all the brakes due to how long the truck sat.I put dynomax 1 5/8 long tube headers on the factory 302 and 2.5 inch exhaust with 40 series flowmasters.
new tires,235/60/15 on the front on the factory wagon wheels
and 295/50/15 on the back on an aftermarket set of wagons drilled for the factory centers.in hindsight I should have gone with some taller tires,these ones don't do a good job of filling out the wheel wells.
I bought an engine from a 1989 5.0 mustang to build for the truck.
302,stock bore,stock forged pistons.
E303 cam,the rest of the valve train is stock.
clevite H-series bearings.
edelbrock performer rpm intake and holley 670 street avenger.
this engine pulls nicely,but the C4 needs a converter and the 2:73 gears aren't the answer.
100_0876.jpg

I still have some work to do under the hood,install the msd blaster coil,fms 9mm wires and separators and tidy up the rest of the wiring.
I took all the front sheet metal off the truck,sandblasted and painted the aprons and rad support,not too sure I like the paint I used for the aprons.but its on there now and will have to do.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi Fred, nice looking truck. It sure takes me back - I had a '77 that color (dark jade metallic) that I bought new. I agree that something in the 3.50 to 3.70 gear range would probably make a better driver for you.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey man...good to see ya posting again. I always loved those green interiors, and that is one helluva clean truck.

thanks tim,yes I think I will go with at least 3:55's in it,I still may put an AOD in it,but if not the C4 will get a shift kit and probably 2500 stall
thanks ben,its good to be back around.I have been busy with the house,son and getting married this year.hows things with you?and congrats on your truck winning,it has to be one of the best looking dents I have ever seen.
now I just have to get out of my own way and start to the body on it,I have been picking away at the bronco I bought,and my 95 dd.
big plans.no time.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Great looking truck. Looking forward to watching your progress on it.

thanks for all the kind words guys,its taken me alot longer to get as far as I have with it,really wanted the old thing done before this past summer,just not enough hours in the day.over the hollidays it will be comming into the shop here and I will remove the box,the drivers cab corner has a small amount of rust,and I am shaving the door handles.
I bought a 79 150 4x4 years ago that used to be a show truck,it had a tilt front end and shaved handles.they just hooked the lock tumbler to the rod to open the door.you just put the key in the lock and turned it to open the doors,worked really good.
I should have some more pictures of progress in the next week or so.

Ford Truck Articles