Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

early 7.3 power stroke glow plug issue

i have 1997 F-250 power stroke. This truck started out life with a gas engine. somewhere along the line it was converted to a 7.3 non intercooled power stroke.my problem is this. the glow plugs get power to them only briefly. this truck does not have a wait to start lite.when i put a test lite on the G.P. relay it comes on only for a few seconds not long enough to heat the chamber. I would like to install a manual momentary switch with lite so Im able to monitor the time and be certain the glow plugs are getting 12 volts for the time desired. I'm told this has been done by many power stroke owners.Can anyone give me direction or is there a kit I could purchase that would speed up the task. Thanking all in advance for any help with this Idea. If its a bad one tell me it won't hurt my feelings. George

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm not familiar with a specific kit, but it would be fairly easy to get an adjustable timer to activate the glow plug relay.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts